Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Door rubber profile refabrication

angel

Enthusiast
It's well known that all good things come to an end, some day. This includes the nice hollow door rubber profile I had sourced at a local car glass supplier about fifteen years ago, and almost made me famous on this forum. Noticing that I was on my last coil, I contacted them to order some more, but their reply was that they ran out too, and they did not intend to import this kind of door rubber. Reasonable, I guess that no more than a hundred R4s remain in Greece.
So I discussed with a rubber manufacturing firm about the possibility of running a small production, provided the material, shape and dimensions remain the same. They can do it, but after calculating all costs, and the extrusion die they have to fabricate, we ended with a price of 8,50€ per metre, (compared to "current" price of 5,50€ per metre).
It's more expensive compared to what Melun or Franzose or some ebay professional sellers offer. I, and those of you who have used this rubber profile know it's of superior quality and fit, but I understand that most people would opt for the most economical solution. That's what put me off for the moment in launching production of door rubber. It's not worth looking at 300 metres of R4 door rubber wondering whether they are going to be sold...
So I would like to read your thoughts on this, and if there is genuine interest in refabricationg door rubber.

HI Angel-I can wouch for the superiority of "your" door rubber profiles!they are a perfect fit and mine are as new after several years.
No use in using ill-fitting (too fat or hard) as they will only be a constant irritant.
-If we knew what is best for us on here,we'd support your very nice initiative and order a set.If you don't need them right now just
keep them coiled up loosely in an open bag,hanging freely so they wont get flattened,they will be as new the day you need them....

They are by far the "bestest" I've come across,and you can put me down for a set if you get on a roll(!) from members on here. -Reid.

I must say that rubbers i got from you are the best one i could find. Even some friends of mine were satisfied whit shape and flexibility of those rubbers you send.

Also there were more question for that same set, but telling total price to those who were interested but never bought them, force them to make very big unbelievable smile.

But those who, after knowing price for whole set, order one are more than happy with rubbers and how they fit to edge of the doors.
One of them told me that he can finally get warm in car during winter. There is no more breeze/draft thru car.

I can as one of friend who were interested in rubbers just as you run out of it is he prepared to buy it with that extra cost.

I am also tempted to order one set for future day.

will get back!

Hi Angel, I definitely would like set, and am happy to pay in advance if that helps with the production costs.

Cheers Simon

Hi Angel, just out of interest how many meters of rubber is needed to refurbish all five doors on a GTL?

Cheers Simon.

If I may jump in!

For 4 door and upper part of boot doors (left, right and top side of the doors) you need 17 of that hollow doors rubber+lower part of the boot doors that need different kind of rubber profile.

Thank you all for your support and good feedback! I decided to proceed with the fabrication, and I expect to have the profile available by the end of July. I'll keep you informed on this!

Hi Angel, just a curious question. Last year I bought a set from franzose (hollow type). Is your set same or better quality? I might be interested because I support initiaves like yours!

Hi Petak, thanks for the info, can you please tell me the best place to get the rubber for the bottom part of the rear door?

Cheers Simon.

Hi Angel, just a curious question. Last year I bought a set from franzose (hollow type). Is your set same or better quality? I might be interested because I support initiaves like yours!

HI Jurjenz-Angels is THE Best-by far! -Reid.

Talked to friend who was interested in door rubbers.

He is willing to pay bigger price for door rubbers.

So when you have rubber in stock let us know so we can do the transaction.
Or if you need in advance i am happy to send it.

I have never seen Franzose door rubber in real life, but from what I can judge from the photos, profile shape is approxiamtive, and rubber is too thin, so I imagine it will not seal as it is intended.

I have never seen Franzose door rubber in real life, but from what I can judge from the photos, profile shape is approxiamtive, and rubber is too thin, so I imagine it will not seal as it is intended.
I fitted them from franzose to all four doors, tailgate and the specific tailgate bottom rubber last year, no issues thus far, watertight and draft free,

Hi Angel, I was just wondering if the new door rubbers were in stock yet?

Cheers Simon.

I used all franzose door rubbers, all four doors and boot, no issues so far, did them all last year, watertight and no wind noise

Latest news on this topic is that I will have the first sample of the production by next week, so I expect to be ready by the end of this month. I just want to be sure that the seal profile and fit is the same as the sample door rubber, test fit it on a door and guide the company to make any corrections to the shape that may be needed.
They told me that it's easier for them to make small lengths than, say, 17 meter rolls (for the whole car), so I plan on making ready-cut pieces for the front door, the rear door and the tailgate.
Refabricating the lower tailgate seal is out of the question, because the mould needed to be fabricated is complex and too expensive for a short production run.
Final price will be 6,50€ per meter, that's good news :-) .

Hi Angel, brilliant news do you have any tailgate lower rubbers left? If so can I have one please?

Cheers Simon

Back