Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

drive shaft length

In late 73 the gearbox was changed to a type using shafts that push inside gearbox
Early cars had different shorter shafts fitting over external splines and a roll pin to locate

In late 73 the gearbox was changed to a type using shafts that push inside gearbox
Early cars had different shorter shafts fitting over external splines and a roll pin to locate
That's not the case the shafts are listed for the 354. Gbox on oscaro at both lengths and nothing to do with the old gbox

40mm is a lot of difference in that case if we are staying with 354 ha0 boxes
I've never measured one and only ever visually identified R4/5 mk1 from my shelf and after checking correct wheel bearing shield setup fitted without an issue
Strange?

40mm is a lot of difference in that case if we are staying with 354 ha0 boxes
I've never measured one and only ever visually identified R4/5 mk1 from my shelf and after checking correct wheel bearing shield setup fitted without an issue
Strange?
Yes strange, I recently had a sahaft fail and fitted a short shaft, which is easier no dropping the btm ball joint, the shaft tore itself apart within 3 kms!

I have never dropped a bottom ball joint to change a Renault 4 drive shaft it does take a dedicated push to compress the spring loaded inner joint and obviously the caliper removed to gain the extra length needed and even then it will only go in in one particular combination

When I replaced the driveshafts on my 1980 GTL, I measured the ones that were already in the car, and they measured 70cm.

So I ordered the 70cm ones from Oscaro, (Cardan RCA France R132N) and they have never given me any problems.

It's confusing that both the 66cm and the 70cm driveshafts have the same constructors reference numbers, 7701 348 098 and 7701 498 698

I discovered this discrepancy and measured mine to replace - they were in between sizes and discovered they push in and out a bit . Some sites listed the identical shafts at different lengths. I’m sure I got the right ones though. I bought SKF

Back