Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

driveshaft

Jahu

Enthusiast
Just taken out the driveshaft on my 82 gtl as the inner boot was split. I also suspected it was leaking oil from the differential plate seal. On closer inspection I noticed that the fins on the differential plate had all been nicked by the driveshaft, which was also showing some marks. Does anyone know the reason for this, thanks.

Interesting...but normally the inner CV joint is at some distance from the differential caps. When you fit the driveshaft and push it fully home, is is getting too close to these caps? Can you send us a photo?

Difficult to photograph due to location. Coming from the end of the spline the profile steps up three times and the third profile is is a triangular shape. It is the tips of the triangle that have been nicking the fins on differential cap. Do not know the history of the car or if this is an original drive shaft.

Driveshafts

Have taken some photos of both driveshafts and highlighted wear points.

• DSCN0116.jpg
    DSCN0116.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 127
  • DSCN0114.jpg
    DSCN0114.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 134
Interesting - I don't think either of them look like my GTL drive shafts, but then I have not looked at them for a long time. If they are both the same length then that is OK, and if they are not worn out then great!! You can do one of two things - fit a new inner boot, grind off the metal that's touching the diff bearing adjuster / plate seal and go your merry way. Otherwise buy a good original matched pair then you know you have the correct ones. The choice is yours but both options will work!!

I've been sorting through driveshafts today (to try to find one with a good boot) and found both types. The more common seems to be the one with the triangular end.

The shiny ring where the seal rubs seems to be in a different place on each of your driveshafts. Can't imagine why this would happen. Can you see any sort of end stop in the gearbox on the side that isn't rubbing?

It's in the same place Malcolm - look at the photo! Another answer could be that a pattern shaft was fitted at some point. A company called Supra used to supply them and the didn't always get the fitment correct.

Good point - I blame the heat. Driveshafts look normal. Here's a shot of a couple of mine:

• driveshafts-side.jpg
    driveshafts-side.jpg
    174.8 KB · Views: 125
The triangular shaft has cv boots marked with Renault part numbers and the other shaft shows Glaenzer Spicer. As both oil seals seemed to have failed it makes me a bit wary about the setting of the differential caps. Just on caps, does anyone have advice on removal as I have struggled to get them to shift.

I can't think anything about why did it happen...I meet this type of driveshaft on many R4s and I have never had any problem. The smaller diameter inner CV joint is typical on GKN/Glaenzer Spicer driveshafts.

As for the differential caps, they are not screwed too tightly, but have an O-ring on their inner circumference that causes some friction. If you can't move them by tapping around with a blunt screwdriver and a hammer, measure the inner diameter of their spline, drill at that distance two holes on a steel square bar of sufficient length, then screw two bolts in them. Now you have a nice pin spanner...for better fit, file the bolt edges square so that they fit the spline teeth exactly. This and a little WD-40 should loosen the caps.

Back