Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

drum brakes binding

castorlex

Enthusiast
Hi everybody,
My R4 77 1108cc has drum brakes, rear and front. Today when I decided to stop my 200miles trip I put handbrake. When I re-start my way, brake pedal became stiffer and stiffer until I had to stop in a traffic jam, then the car became completely blocked. So I finally tried to release pressure opening one of the lines near to brake fluid depot. That nigthmare repeats once again until I arrived to my destination.

Any suggestions?, maybe is there any air bubbles inside the system?
thanx

sounds to me your brake-linings are def.past their service-life.
Might also be the drums themselves that' too worn-My guess it will be the linings
Have you measured the thickness of lining and/or drums? -R.

Your problem is definitely connected with your brake master cylinder. The fluid return hole is blocked so the brakes stay on. Suggest you get an overhaul kit just in case you need it, and then completely strip and thoroughly clean the cylinder making sure that all the tiny fluid holes are not blocked. Use thin wire and an air line.

Thanks for advices, saturday I went to a garage where clean the four drums, linings. Then the system was purged and adjusted. The brakes became normal again. I hope that troubles don't come back.

Good to hear you're on the road again castorlex!
-problem is that the brakefluid gets contaminated by water,rust and other muck.They say one ought to change brakefluid every two years-which I think is a good idea-so maybe I will try that-One of these years! -R.

Back