Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Electronic ignition for 845cc Billancourt engine?

722stu

Enthusiast
Hello,
I've resisted the temptation to fit electronic ignition to my '67 R4 trusting in an ability to maintain the distributer and the points. A year or so ago I fitted a 'new' distributor cap and leads but these have died prematurely. Pattern parts I think, lesson learned, but where can I find NOS Ducellier parts? For now I've put the originals back, however tired, it's an improvement.
Inevitably I'm looking again at the pros and cons of fitting a 123/Renault-OLD-4-R (without vacuum advance). So a couple of questions if anyone has any experience of these, are they as simple a swap as the manufacturers suggest? How have they performed? Assume all set up for a 6v system system? Dialling in the correct advance?
Kind regards,
Stuart.

Ditto!
If Andy hasn't got the ones you need, I might be able to help too. I've just been sorting through a load on NOS ignition parts for loads of French classics, including the earliest R3 / R4.
I've had bad experiences with 123 on other vehicles, (I have no experience of it on the R4 though). Like you, I prefer to keep standard ignition on my own classics but if considering electronic, I agree with Andy: Gammatronix is a very good value system. Personally I prefer the (similar) Boyer Branden unit, (about £40), as they've been around for decades (early 70s, I think) and have a superb reputation (5yr guarantee).
Both these systems use the points but only as a timing trigger, (not to transmit full power), so they normally last at least 25,000 miles.

Many thanks for the replies. I think if I can find NOS Ducellier points, rotor and cap this is worth a try. Here's what happened to the pattern part - seemingly the central contact from the coil has disappeared and fine copper filings from the exposed housing have peppered the inside of the cap.
I'm afraid I don't know the part number - except my original has Ducellier printed on it. The internal diameter is 46.7mm. Andy and Retrospecparts - I'll send you a personal message.

Big thanks,

Stuart.

dizzy.jpg

Have found these so far. All genuine Renault/Ducellier:
20211027_113136.jpg20211027_112135.jpg
Cap external diameter 56mm; int. diameter 47mm (both approximate). Will pm you!

Following-up... I sent my Ducellier distributor to H&H Ignition solutions (UK) for a complete refurb. I've used them before and they've been super-helpful. It was returned looking like new. Now installed and timed it's running well - I'll see how I get on long-term.
Next-up the coil. I suspect this is original, certainly I've not replaced it in 20 years of ownership. It's a 6V SEV, seemingly not available now? (Bosch, Beru, and various makes I've never heard of, yes). First to test the old with the multimeter... will report.
Screenshot 2022-02-22 at 14.11.26.png

Hi Stuart
For coils, the Intermotor catalogue gives the number 11010 for 6V SEV and Ducellier systems. (Does your car have a 'normal' cylindrical coil?)
There's a NOS one here (if you 'watch' it, they may drop the price!):

Also available here:

Back