Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Electronic Rev Counter installation

Tomcat

Enthusiast
Getting very frustrated trying to install a 52mm electronic rev counter on my second F4 with a 1108cc Cleon engine.
Have one fitted on first F4 with a 845cc Billancourt engine which works well.
Three wires - Green to negative on coil; Red to Ignition switch and Black to earth. Have checked all connections etc., with no joy at all.

Anyone offer any ideas please? Thanks

All sounds correct but you may find that the tachometer itself is a dud, I had one that read too low so I wouldn't be surprised if one was faulty entirely.

You could try it on other vehicle and see if it works then.

Getting very frustrated trying to install a 52mm electronic rev counter on my second F4 with a 1108cc Cleon engine.
Have one fitted on first F4 with a 845cc Billancourt engine which works well.
Three wires - Green to negative on coil; Red to Ignition switch and Black to earth. Have checked all connections etc., with no joy at all.

Anyone offer any ideas please? Thanks

All sounds correct but you may find that the tachometer itself is a dud, I had one that read too low so I wouldn't be surprised if one was faulty entirely.

You could try it on other vehicle and see if it works then.
This is a second one I am using. Both new. Thought first may have been a dud but 2 more unlikely.

Is the negative terminal of the coil actually connected to the contact points?

Hi Tomcat,
Recently fitted a Gammatronix onto the ignition system on my F6, modern system, old car, would think the basic principle of how the Gammatronix works would be similar to the pick up for a modern rev counter, on the coil the pick up is on the + terminal of coil, the negative being earth,
Have you tried disconnecting rev counter from negative terminal and connecting to the positive coil terminal, this side it would see the pulse ( on / off ) of the points ( think this is where angel was pointing )

Last edited:
Hi Tomcat,
Recently fitted a Gammatronix onto the ignition system on my F6, modern system, old car, would think the basic principle of how the Gammatronix works would be similar to the pick up for a modern rev counter, on the coil the pick up is on the + terminal of coil, the negative being earth,
Have you tried disconnecting rev counter from negative terminal and connecting to the positive coil terminal, this side it would see the pulse ( on / off ) of the points ( think this is where Angel was pointing )
OK understood. System works as I described on F4 No 1 so I did not see going from 845 to an 1108 would change things.
Will try what you suggest. Thank you.

I now have 1 working rev counter by swapping the green feed to the +ve on the coil. Thanks "angel" & "laxeian".

I had a Peugeot j7 camper run baddly
Recently
disconnect faulty tacho perfect now

What I was meaning, and what perhaps your problem was, is that someone may had connected the coil the wrong way round (+ terminal on the points, - terminal on +12v ignition feed). Your engine would had been running just as happily as ignition coils don't have polarity (almost-it's the center electrode of the spark plug that wears now) but when you connect the tachometer to the (-) coil terminal it's not feeling ignition pulses, but rather continuous +12V.

What I was meaning, and what perhaps your problem was, is that someone may had connected the coil the wrong way round (+ terminal on the points, - terminal on +12v ignition feed). Your engine would had been running just as happily as ignition coils don't have polarity (almost-it's the center electrode of the spark plug that wears now) but when you connect the tachometer to the (-) coil terminal it's not feeling ignition pulses, but rather continuous +12V.
Angel. Thank you for your explanation. Appreciated

I now have 1 working rev counter by swapping the green feed to the +ve on the coil. Thanks "angel" & "laxeian".
Hi , how did you mount it ? Can you post picture how it looks inside , and maybe link where to buy it ?
Thanks

Hi , how did you mount it ? Can you post picture how it looks inside , and maybe link where to buy it ?
Thanks
Hi there
I have mounted mine in a gauge pod that I got from Vehicle Wiring Products.
Rev counter itself I got from ebay but you could go to Demon Tweeks; Merlinsport etc. Depends how much one wants to spend.
I have mounted mine just by the door as shown in attached picture.
One could use a gauge bracket instead.
Hope this of some help.
Tom

• DSC01000.JPG
    DSC01000.JPG
    151.8 KB · Views: 6
Hi there
I have mounted mine in a gauge pod that I got from Vehicle Wiring Products.
Rev counter itself I got from ebay but you could go to Demon Tweeks; Merlinsport etc. Depends how much one wants to spend.
I have mounted mine just by the door as shown in attached picture.
One could use a gauge bracket instead.
Hope this of some help.
Tom
Thank, i will be trying to find something that looks more old school :)

Back