Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Engine bay cleaning

Millennium4can

Enthusiast
Hello!!! just wanting to hear your opinions on cleaning out the engine compartment on my R4 gtl. Which bits to cover up? Best products to use I. E degreasers and should I use a jet washer or just scrub and rinse? Some of the photos on here look great and I feel the need to maintain this standard.

In the old days before EU interference, products such as Gunk and Jizer were market leaders. These days they are waterbased and pretty poor substitutes. I use kerosene as I have a supply of it, but paraffin is a good substitute. A GTL's engine bay is both small and accessible so i'd suggest a rag dampened with paraffin would do the job.

Hello Millennium4can, I would definitely not use a jet washer. I used hot soapy water and a sponge for the inner wings and bulkhead.

The top of my gearbox was the worst, only petrol would get the old oil off. Carb cleaner for the carburetor

It also helps to remove the bonnet for better access. Lots of toothbrushes and old rags are a must.

I picked up a 5 litre of bilt hamber's fairly environmentally friendly degreaser ages ago. They call it surfex HD. Its water based and solvent free but it's actually really effective. On really greasy bits i'd just work it in neat with a brush and leave it for a while. then rinse with hot water. Of course I only did all this as part of the ongoing restoration. If my car was intact theres no way I'd ever bother cleaning the engine bay :)

Are there any strong reasons against jet washers? i was already mentally preparing for cleaning the gearbox that way..

Are there any strong reasons against jet washers? i was already mentally preparing for cleaning the gearbox that way..
A jet washer will let water find its way into lots of places it won't be welcome - do not use! They're meant for patios and Land Rover bottoms only - some lazy people clean car bodies with them but it's a skill: needs narrow angles and lowish pressure; better with microfibre sponges and gloves. Brushes and gentle washing with hot, soapy water and cloths is best. Put a plastic bag over the carb and distributor, and rubber glove fingers over one or two areas (dipstick orifice for example). Try to leave electric connections and boxes dry.

I'm not against jet washing an engine bay of a Renault 4 - or any other car of its era. Water getting into any low tension electrical component (fusebox, alternator etc.) will dry long before it causes any trouble. It's moisture on any ignition component that will not allow the car to start. No matter how well you cover these components, moisture will get in, that's why I have found it's pointless to waste your time protecting them.
I jet wash the engine bay without taking any particular care - water can't get in carburettor from air filter cover. After I'm done, I never attempt to start the engine. I take off distributor cap and blow dry the internal parts, then wipe the contact points dry with kitchen towel. Then I remove ignition leads one by one and blow both ends dry, and spray them lightly with silicone spray, not forgetting their sockets on the distributor cap, and also ignition coil top.
10 out of 10 times the car will start instantly after applying this technique. Skip a step, or rush it, and you'll lose all day trying to start it.

guess what my vote goes with Angel again
if we had electronics to worry about I might be concerned
as modern cars so equipped are disposable items
most owners of such won't even open the bonnet to do any maintenance let alone clean under there

Back