Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Engine interchangeability

Ian T

Enthusiast
Hi everyone

I was wondering if you would be so kind to shed some light on the ability to change engines. Can you swap an engine from say a GL to a GTL and or vice versa, is it straight forward?

What I mean is was the increase in capacity just through the bores with the remaining bits all the same?

Schoolboy question and sorry but I can’t seem to find the answer.

Cheers

Ian

If your TL is from after 1984 you can pop in a GTL engine.
Or swap the liners for some bigger bore.
Beware that you need to change the gearbox as well because of the gear ratio. Or you end op with higher revs and more fuel consumption.

If your TL is from before 1984 you need to change the whole layout of the engine bay.
The engine is a smaller size 845cc and it turns in the other direction. So you need to change engine and gearbox.
Put the radiator forwards and possibly you need to change the bonnet because the strengthening struts are in the way.

Wow thank you for such a great and informative reply.

At the moment I have neither, but in a great position to buy (she has said yes even after my last short lived escapade).

So I’m actively looking, I love the GL body shape the best but after much reading and googling I think it all steers towards the 1.1 engine being the best. So I was wondering if the marriage of the two was possible, so your information is spot on and again thanks so much.

I suppose I may be overthinking as usual and perhaps the smaller engine would be spot on as well.

Cheers

Ian

You know I think I must be loosing it’s just had a really good look again and all the bodies seem very much the same apart from the odd grill and plastic verse chrome or aluminium type of thing and a slightly different bonnet. How bizarre I think it must be the colours that change the appearance so much........or I need certification.

Back