Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Engine Pull Back

DeanWV

Enthusiast
We’ve just acquired our Renault 4 so are still swotting up and finding out what’s what.
But I have noticed some pull back - when driving especially in 2nd & 3rd gear the car seems to pull back, i.e. feels like it wants to backwards or a jerk if you like. It’s hard to describe but I’m sure someone else has come across this?
Also the shift between 2nd a 3rd is not very natural, it feels forced?

Hi Dean

Two separate issues come to mind with the symptoms being associated with 2nd and 3rd gear forced/jerking/pulling. With the pull back/jerking problem this could well be a tuning issue, the first thing I would check is the points/contact set gap, if it is closed, it would need adjusting, if the contacts are corroded/pitted/worn, might as well change,cheap enough to buy, I would also check the spark plugs condition/gap,clean adjust, once again cheap enough to buy and change. I would also check/ adjust the timing. While im at it, I would also look at the distributor cap and rotor arm for general condition and if okish, clean all contacts, or once again cheap enough to replace. I would also inspect the HT leads. Lastly, If none of the above resolves the issue, I would then change the condenser, jerking issues/backfiring (as I cannot visually check for defects) (which should normally be changed alongside the points anyway).If still unresolved, I would consider replacing the coil, jerking/backfiring issues. If still unresolved, I would then move onto and investigate the carburettor for tuning/fuel starvation/blocked jets etc .

With 2nd/3rd gear feeling forced. I would first check the gear change linkage,worn bushes/rubbers (ovaling out of plastic bushes, split/perished rubbers), there are also a couple of gear change springs which often go amiss.

Hello Dean
Are you saying that when you're in 2nd or 3rd gear your car hesitates a bit before it takes and accelerates?

If thats the case then you have a minor timing problem, probably too far retarded. You'll have to check your timing settings and distributor position. If you do a search on this page (top right) you'll find plenty of advice here on how to do it.

As far as your gear shift is concerned, have a look at the upright gear change lever that sticks up directly from your gear box. There should be a spring attached to it which helps the gear change. If you can't find it, I have a photo somewhere which I can send you

Back