Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

engine used in a toro mower

obrienja

A friend asked me to help him work on his mower. Imagine my surprise when I found a Renault engine in it. It is from the 1970/1980s time frame. The plate has it labeled as a Model R08 Spec 15/2002 Serial # 7885.

My understanding is that this engine was used in autos. Some parts appear to be hard to get in the USA. Like the cylinder head.

Was this engine labeled differently in Europe and if so how? I don't want to open it up unless I can find parts for it. He started having white smoke come out the exhaust. So I am concerned that he overheated it and cracked the Head.

They are difficult to find information about in the USA. Even trying to find a service manual is hard.

Thanks for any info you can give me. If I knew what other names the engine might have gone by I could research it my self. I am just not sure if it is a B1B-247 or a different model.

Jay

The engine shown in the link is the renault 800-01 engine which is the export 845 cc engine used in 4's in the early 70's to eighties. It should confirm it on the engine ID plate on the distributor side of the block. These were the same as the car engines except they were fitted with a different dynamo and governor arrangement.

The head is very similar to that from the Renault Dauphine which used essentially the same engine but rotating in the opposite direction. I believe you could probably modify one to fit if you couldn't find an R4 engine.

Lots of other parts like piston and sleeve sets and bearing shells from dauphines will fit, but some things like camshafts won't and also the crank won't because the oil thrower goes in the wrong direction. There are a few odd places in the states that stock parts for dauphines and they may well be familiar with Toro mowers. I know here in Australia the local Renault parts factors are used to helping out Toro owners as there used to be a lot here.

R4 engines were also used on Wheelhorse ride on mowers which were Belgian and also briefly sold in the US, as well as a variety of french ground support carts for Mirage jets.

Good luck!

Thanks for the information. It is very helpful.

What I copied off the plate said

Continental R engine
Model R08
Spec 15/2002
Serial 7885
teledyne total power
Mempis Tennessee

I will try to drive over to his house and see if there is anything else on the plate I may have missed.

I will take some pictures when I go to look at the plate also.

Jay

Back