Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Engines available during the R4's lifetime

Eccles60

First Renault 4 after 40 years waiting
Can anyone point me at a list of all available engines used on the 4, cubic capacity, markets, and so on.

Is it true that the direction of rotation was different for some? If so, why? Was it just the engine design, its original use or was there a valid reason?

Also, what does "Regie" refer too please? It crops up in Renault stuff a lot but I haven't see a definition.

Many thanks!

I'm not sure if there's an exhaustive list of R4 engines- some countries had versions unknown in Europe (in Colombia, for example, there were 1022cc and '1300' (1289?) cc R4 versions).
This is a good list, though:

Caractéristiques générales sur les Renault 4 (la4ldesylvie.fr)

And for Spanish-speaking countries:

Renault 4 - Wikipedia, la enciclopedia libre

The 'small' (up to 845cc) 'Billancourt' engines in the R4 rotate clockwise (when viewed from the front of the car); the 'big' (852cc and up) 'Cléon' engines in the opposite direction.
The Billancourt engines were originally fitted to the rear-engined cars like the 4CV, Dauphine etc. When the engine was moved to the front of the car on the R4, its rotation had to be reversed to allow the starting handle to be used in the conventional (clockwise) direction. On the 6V cars, a starting handle was a necessity (I had a 6V 1970 TL that I used to have to start with the handle fairly often in the winter!).

Régie:

English Translation of “régie” | Collins French-English Dictionary (collinsdictionary.com)

(Renault was nationalised in early 1945).

Many thanks Andy, I really appreciate your help - it's cleared up a few points for me. Cheers!

Back