Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

EV conversion

Leonardo.IT

Enthusiast
Just wondering, anybody tried to convert our R4 in an Electric Veichle?
I'm fascinated by this kind of "green" tuning, just a little afraid about the short distance you can do with one charge.
I know there is almost one in Italy, but I'd love to know if anybody tried this kind of work in his own garage like many in the USA do.

Excellent - I'd be interested in finding out more about this project. I know that there was an electric version of the F6, but know almost nothing about it. I imagine it was made in small numbers as an experimental city delivery van, probably with a very short range. I seem to remember that the battery pack slid into the side of the van behind the seats, but may be wrong. If anyone has more information on this, could they post a link?

There's some interesting info on an abandoned project here:

http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forum...ing-my-first-conversion-renault-r4-54937.html

I remember seeing a gas-powered F6 in Italy in the early 90s - with a gas cylinder on the roof above the front seats!

There are many LPG and Natural Gas powered R4 in Italy and in the past wasn't so unusual (today is scary...) to put the gas cylinder on the roof of the van, I remember myself a lot of Fiat 238 in this way...

That's really interesting what you say about the Electric F6, I didn't know about its existence and I'm really curious now!

EV R4 would be nice thing to make....For my up to 100km daily routes it would be perfect ride.

There are few EV vehicle here in Croatia that are used every day.
There is one R5 (super 5) that i fancy most

This is the road legal conversion made in Italy
https://www.facebook.com/pg/newtronitalia/photos/?tab=album&album_id=1115280081880631

But the cost isn't low and the performances not really amusing...

Last year I asked a quote for the conversion and they told me:

95 km/h max speed, no more road tax, insurance reduced by 50% etc.

5800€ + VAT for the conversion

PLUS
6000€ + VAT for the 100 km battery pack
8500€ + VAT for the 150 km battery pack

It's really fascinating but way too expensive in my opinion.

So bad it's nearly impossible to have a road legal car if you're going to do a DIY conversion.

This is the only sensible technology, polymer electrolyte hydrogene fuel cell everything else is awaste of effort

Feature_HondaClarity2.jpg

This is the only sensible technology, polymer electrolyte hydrogene fuel cell everything else is awaste of effort

View attachment 24682
To be honest, I'm not a fan of hydrogen.
Basically is made from oil and it's hard to stock and transport.
Better then batteries only in speed of refuelling.

In the fuel cell world, I'd go for the alcohol ones.

To be honest, I'm not a fan of hydrogen.
Basically is made from oil and it's hard to stock and transport.
Better then batteries only in speed of refuelling.

In the fuel cell world, I'd go for the alcohol ones.
Use multispectrum solar cells and wind energy to electrolyse water into H2 and O2.
H2 emission is only H2O
Alcohol emission is (3)H2O and (2)CO2, thus again CO2 polution

Use multispectrum solar cells and wind energy to electrolyse water into H2 and O2.
H2 emission is only H2O
Alcohol emission is (3)H2O and (2)CO2, thus again CO2 polution

The problem is the amount of energy needed to convert H2O in H2 and O2, energy that I don't have back in the fuel cell (electrolysis isn't really efficient).
I'd prefer to put directly in a battery the electricity made from solar panels and wind turbines!
Alcohol instead is basically plant made so I'd assume the CO2 made by the fuel cell has been absorbed by the plant during its vital cycle.

That's a really interesting (and vast!) matter with lots of different point of view!

The problem is the amount of energy needed to convert H2O in H2 and O2, energy that I don't have back in the fuel cell (electrolysis isn't really efficient).
I'd prefer to put directly in a battery the electricity made from solar panels and wind turbines!
Alcohol instead is basically plant made so I'd assume the CO2 made by the fuel cell has been absorbed by the plant during its vital cycle.

That's a really interesting (and vast!) matter with lots of different point of view!
I really like discusing different points of view.:D
There is a bundancy of free solar energy worldwide for electrolysis, you could do it easily at home and store your own H2 and use it for your home and car fuel cell, in a way of being self sufficient.

The technology is already available and, for all those downers and pessimists, it is not dangerous. Steamengines, driving, flying, skydiving etc. was "dangerous" in the early days, but we have to harness the dangers, learn to cope with it and use it the right way like all kinds of technology.
I wouldn't use a battery as a main means for power, I'd use it as a backup device such as a spare tire.

And being zero emmision self sufficient would be a global noble goal with all benefits directly for the consumer, instead that all kinds of profits and benefits go to investment companies and every thinkable businesman with their sticky fingers and greedy minds.

Back