Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Exhaust through the filler cap??

GreenVan

Enthusiast
Hey All.

I have a '83 Renault F4 Van with a 850cc engine and a problem. I noticed while standing at idle and at lower speeds the cabin smelled alot like exhaust fumes, and I began investigating the source. It turned out to be exhaust coming from the top of the engine, most noticeable when I take the filler cap off. Am I having a burnt exhaust valve or worse? The car do need a valve adjustment as some "ticking" is evident, will that solve the problem?

Your truly

Kenneth, Denmark

The exhaust fumes you are getting are normally caused by crankcase pressurisation which would normally be attributed to piston blow by, this is when the engine is so badly worn that exhaust gasses pass the piston rings and pressurise the crankcase. Normally these gasses are recycled through a rubber tube from the valve cover to the air filter although I'm not sure whether your engine has that fitted. Adjusting a ticking tappet will not affect it I'm afraid.It is unlikely to be a burnt exhaust valve although someone else may come up with a happier solution.

Thank you for the swift reply :) I have come to the realization that my engine do need an overhaul quite soon. I did however clean the breahtertubes (which were clogged) from the valve cover, and a green-brownish snot-like substance was cleared from them, which to some extent fixed the excess fume problem since the overpressure now flows back to the carb. The engine seems a bit happier too :) Thanks again

Kenneth

Yeah..it died :(

My 850cc engine just gave up yesterday in a grand finale of smoke and oil :(.

As I have no time or facilities to restore the engine I'm considering replacing it with an 1100 engine. I have found one which comes with carb but not starter, will it fit into my 850cc setup? Or do I need new radiator, starter and such?

Kenneth, Denmark

No it won't fit, better try to get all 1108 ancillaries such as starter, alternator, radiator, clutch/throttle cables, water hoses...It will save you a lot of trouble later.

Thank you all for the answers :D

Maybe I should start looking for a donor car :) My R4 will prolly stand still for a while now, since a complete 1100 setup is beyond my economic capacity.

Back