Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

F4 Oil filter

Thanks very much for all your help.By the way do any of you know if 6.5 hours is excessive for a garage to fit a clutch?
Cheers
Paul

6.5 hours is the time that Renault give, however it can be done in 4.5 hours max with a ramp providing everything comes undone easily. This is one heavy gearbox to remove and it takes two people to lift it out.

Steve

A reply from Tracbar245 sent via email:

Hi Paul,I would say when I was doing them regularly, around 2 1/2 hours was nearer the mark, however, as it is very unlikely that anybody there has ever done one, I would say thats a safe calculation for them. Some bits may be a little tight through rustIf you need any advice or parts, just send me an email, as I am a Renault trade partner and have full access to the Renault parts database. Most things for the R4 are readily available, Unfortunately I am not so lucky, as I am now rebuilding a R5 Gordini (Alpine) turbo and short of a set of plug leads and some new locks, thats about it.Regards, Chris

My '71 Greek import R4 (261 series) has also that blanking plate instead of oil filter.I have also seen it on a 1975 French market R1126. Nobody bothered to fit an oil filter for so many years! From parts book it seems that oil filter was standard on 800-02 and 05 engines only,all other types had this blanking plate. Also, Renault 3-bearing engines until around 1970 (4CV,Dauphine,R4) didn't ever had the oil filter provision and blanking plate (maybe Renault thought no filtration was needed if the oil was to be changed every 5000 kms).
As for the labor times,they are officially being estimated by the factories supposing that the work is being done by a mechanic with "average" knowledge and experience,not hurrying or delaying too much etc. I have compared estimated labor times on many (modern) cars, and I have noticed great differences from one manufacturer to another, even though I didn't find noticeable difference in the process.Incidentally, Renault gives always longer labor times than any other manufacturer.Some repairs on modern Renaults are really time-consuming,but for others (e.g. brake service),there is not that much difference.

Cheers all
Had the clutch done and the bill quite amazingly came to the estimate price(to the centime!!).
Some interesting stuff there Angel.Lucky you living in Athens.Kolonaki's one of my favourite places!However I really wouldn't drive a car I loved around Syntagma square!!
Thanks For that pic Simon.AU.It was really useful I just printed it off and took it in to the local Renault place.No way could she say the part didn't exist.I've ordered it (20 euros) as I think it's got to be better to run it with a filter fitted.
Anyway she drives like a totally different van now (although she struggles to maintain 90kmh uphill!!).
Still can't get any answers as to what fuel to use.As I posted earlier when I bought it there was a sticker on the dash saying "essence 98" and the old chap I bought it from(who'd owned her from new) said I must use this fuel.
Obviously it means 98 octane however the only 2 petrol fuels you can get here with an octane rating of 98 are "super"(a sort of 4 star replacement but rated at 98 octane) and unleaded 98.
So still none the wiser.Anyway it seems to be running ok on super.
Thanks again
Paul

98 octane fuel on a 782cc???!!! It was designed to run on 88 octane safely (8:1 compression). Only 1108 high compression engines (GTL) need somewhat higher octane fuel (95). Maybe the sticker is from another car???
I was pleasantly surprised to hear from that you know Kolonaki and Syntagma Square!!!

Nothing better than sat outside a Kolonaki cafe people watching on a warm evening before heading off to a Rembetika bar!!

Back