Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

F4 Sinpar 4x4

Neil Barber

Enthusiast
My first post
Just purchased a F4 Sinpar project apart from wanting to say hello a couple of questions.
1. There is a floor mounted lever connected to a cable going to the rear diff is this a diff lock or engagement?
2 . Anyone got any info on how 4x4 should be selected?
3. If I wanted to put in a bigger engine which engines will fit to the gearbox
At the moment it's going to be awhile before I can start work on her albeit I might find time to just get her running

Neil
Welcome to the Forum.
I would suggest you make contact with Robert, profile name "harbourseal". He will have all the answers for your questions.
Regards
Tom

We do like photo's I dare to say for all of us.
De cable that runs to the back diff is just for engagement. There is no diff lock on any Sinpar R4.
Depending on the year of build of your Sinpar. There should be an engagement umbrella stick just to the right of the midsection coming through the firewall.
IMG_3398.JPG
Mine has a red ball on it, yours could be of white or any other colour.
This one engages the front part of the system. I have a small lever next to my seat that engages the diff at the back.

Or you could have the type with two levers next to each other on the floor in the middle of the cabin.
The one on the right goes to the front engagement and the one on the left side goes to the back.

If you want a bigger engine you will need a complete different front gearbox and you need to flip the diff at the back to make it run the other way.
I'm assuming that you have an 845cc Ventoux engine.

On the other hand why should you want a bigger engine? The Sinpar simply isn't a speedy car. The system is made for maximum torque in roughish terrain.

You need to know the ratio of your back diff to determine the choice for another engine.
If you have an 8x33 back diff it is a little faster car. The 7x33 is a slow car and not suitable to take a bigger engine.
I need some more details on your Sinpar kit and engine size to determine what is possible.

If you want to see the two different types together, come to Renaultoloog in the Netherlands this weekend.
I'm there with my 845cc Sinpar and a friend of mine brings his 1400cc Sinpar. They both have an 8x33 back diff ratio

Good luck with your project and feel free to contact me with your questions.
Regards, Robert

De cable that runs to the back diff is just for engagement. There is no diff lock on any Sinpar R4.
Depending on the year of build of your Sinpar. There should be an engagement umbrella stick just to the right of the midsection coming through the firewall.
View attachment 21637
This one engages the front part of the system. I have a small lever next to my seat that engages the diff at the back.

Or you could have the type with two levers next to each other on the floor in the middle of the cabin.
The one on the right goes to the front engagement and the one on the left side goes to the back.

If you want a bigger engine you will need a complete different front gearbox and you need to flip the diff at the back to make it run the other way.

On the other hand why should you want a bigger engine? The Sinpar simply isn't a speedy car. The system is made for maximum torque in roughish terrain.

You need to know the ratio of your back diff to determine the choice for another engine.
If you have an 8x33 back diff it is a little faster car. The 7x33 is a slow car and not suitable to take a bigger engine.
I need some more details on your Sinpar kit and engine size to determine what is possible.

If you want to see the two different types together, come to Renaultoloog in the Netherlands this weekend.
I'm there with my 845cc Sinpar and a friend of mine brings his 1400cc Sinpar. They both have an 8x33 back diff ratio

Regards, Robert

View attachment 21637

Regards, Robert
From the sound of it mine is the same as yours ?
1980 850 cc with the dash lever and a small lever on the floor which you put the heel of yor foot on

Think from the sound of it best to stay with standard engine ? Was only thinking a 1100 cc would be better

Welcome Neil, and yes Robert is The Sinpar man.
Looking at the F4 Sinpar pictures she needs some TLC.
Don't hesitate to ask as there is a lot of knowledge in this forum to find and many people who will help and guide.
Regards, Joop

Back