Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

F6 spare tyre cage release catch etc

blakeyboy

Enthusiast
Hello there!

I haven't been around since going the Stoney classic show as an exhibit accidentally, no really....
I thought the nice guy helping me to a parking space was just marshalling the public, but no, he was putting me in the row of classics.
My wife thought that was hilarious...

So ...oops...loads of tin worm in the rear body. Loads. I took the fuel tank out, and found why my gauge was all over the place-
the orange wire from the sender had a junction under the rear bumper, and this fell apart in my hands....so that mystery is solved I think.

However, to take the tank out I had to drop the spare wheel for access, and when I did, the retaining clamp that you loosen with the bolt
in the floor just fell off the crossmember at the back, behind the bumper bar. Totally rotten. The whole crossmember.
Been bodge repaired with 'pigeon shit' welding, with no paint- just bitumen, no attempt to stop what was clearly rot-in-progress....

So...is this crossmember available, or should I make one? I can't find it, or indeed the clamp, anywhere on line or in my Der Franzose catalogue....

b

DSC01053.JPG

So no repair panels anywhere?
This is where the spare wheel cage catch was...

DSC01159.JPG

I bought a rear crossmember from Der Franzose (to the right of the photo). It was a bit horrid and I didn't use it. It seemed designed to fit when the body is still attached to the chassis and it didn't fit the curve of the rear panel so I made my own. Might fit the F6 better. More on https://www.renault4.co.uk/gordini-boot-floor.htm I think I've still got it if you want it.

The Renault 4 suppliers are getting better at reproducing panels. Worth checking out Melun Retro Passion and Der Franzose to see what they do now.

new-crossmember.jpg

Ahh- nice one- trouble is, the F6 one is formed so the spare wheel fits- you
may just see in the picture ( I couldn't get further back without digging a trench!)
that the crossmember is fat at the ends and much thicker in the middle.
The opposite to a brontosaurus, if A.Elk is reading this.

I can't see any F6 section available anywhere. Making and fitting a complete new one will be a pain when the body is still attached to the chassis. Probably easier to repair what you've got.

What...in your picture of the vehicle floor on it's side,
you made that rear panel on the left, bolted to the floor, yourself?

Back