Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Femsa Vacuum Advance Fix

malcolm

& Clementine the Cat
Given Femsa Vacuum advance units are no longer available here's a botch to fix them.

Grind off the metal ring holding the two parts of the advance unit together, and seperate the parts. Cut out a new diaphram from an old bicycle inner tube. Glue the diaphram to the centre plate, then glue the outsides together being careful throughout to avoid any air leaks. This is Robert's botch for today. He used araldite and the vacuum advance seems to work!

• femsa.jpg
    femsa.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 496
:):):):)

Just love it Malcolm. Only problem would be that the bicycle tube would be too thick compared to the original material and the full range of the advance would not be achieved.

Just a thought if you do experience a problem, you could also put a very small patch over the perforation or some rubber compound the type you use for flat roofs.What you could do with the remainer of a 5lt tin after useing a pinhead of the stuff and dont have a flat roof to repair is to use it as underseal.

After reading this old thread i went of to check mine and i have found it does not work on the GTL or F6. (femsa dj4)

Is there an alternitave vac/advance unit you can fit?

Shall i drop the distributor doctor a line.

Surley if we could modify one to fit there would be a number of us who could put use to them.

Michael

As far as I know you can't buy the Femsa vac unit any more. The last time I went to West's only the Ducellier was available. Must admit that I felt that the Femsa distributor was crap compared to the other makes fitted on R4's.
A working vac unit is essential for optimum performance. It's one of the most neglected part on coil ignition cars and very rarely checked.

Ok, i guess for now i will have to patch it up like the above repair.

So after some serious google'ing absolutly nothing can be found on femsa distributors, and it would appear our friends over at the r4-4l forum have no solution either.

Im going to give this chap a call http://www.distributordoctor.com/ to ask his advice to see if he can offer any help or even repair them, after all in theroy his repair will be the same as malcolm's but probably made out of the correct vacuum rubber.

If this is a no go, where can i buy 2 or possibly 3 (any condition) Ducelier distributors from please.

Also just a quick question, if no parts are obtainable for the femsa, how come they were fitted for so long or is it just a case of stocks are sold out?

Thanks michael

Will be interesting what the doc says! If he has a solution for distributors other than Lucas then that would be great.
I'm sure that there are second-hand distributors out there but they need to have good vac units. You can buy them new from Germany / France.

If you get stuck I have a brand new Marelli R4 GTL distributor. These were a make used towards the end of the production run. Cap, condenser, rotor arm and points are still listed by Standard Motors!!

Absolutly Amazing !!!!!

Yup, I removed the gubbins from the F6, noting where all the bits went and placing them into a little pot, so not to loose that tiny little spring clip.

Now that the vacuum advance was alone on its own, I took a junior hack saw and very gingerly cut off the metal ring, trying not to damage the plastic unit to much. (a small cut in inevetable)

Using a small stanly blade i parted the two halves of the unit (noting where the metal rod was before hand) And there was the hole, instantly visable. Hooooge!

Finding a suitable socket to sit the rod piece in i clamped it in the vice. I very gently then tapped the peened over section on the end of the rod through the outer washer, which ment i was then able to remove the washer and rubber (now plastic advance unit).

I took my inner tube and made the replica replacement. I then had to flatten out the outer washer, refit it and re-peen over the end. (Note: this is quite tricky as the innnertube is thicker but with patience you can do it) Then refit the unit into the plastic half and as i didn't have any sealing materials to hand, I refitted the metal ring.

Now this part of the job was the hardest because the ring is reluctant to go over both halves as the rubber is thicker so using a tiny, tiny tapping hammer i opened up the ring ever so slightly and after ALOT of huffing and puffing i managed to get the ring back into place.

I simply then placed it gently into the vice so it was just simply nipping it (note the 'ring' wont close up fully due to the expansion) and worked my way round it twice with a pair of grips nipping the ring up.

Sucked on it, Perfect, Refitted it all, Set the timing with a stobe to the pointer nearest the near side inner wing and Amazing, Absolutly Amazing! Thank you very much Malcolm & Robert for thinking up such a super remedy.

I am now off to do the one on the GTL and if i can find another distributor, i will even do a spare.

Michael (pics to follow)

• IMGP4101.jpg
    IMGP4101.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 355
  • IMGP4103.jpg
    IMGP4103.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 343
Last edited:
Back