Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Fitting an Oil Temperature Gauge.

Tomcat

Enthusiast
Looking for information as to whether anyone has fitted an oil temperature gauge to their vehicle.
I have an 845cc engine - B1B 5070 R 3790.
Comments appreciated. Thanks

Hi Tomcat
It seems like a fairly simple operation- I watched a Youtube video some months ago.
Basically you would need to get a new sump plug with a sensor fitted to it. I'm sure that they're available on Ebay or Amazon, but you'd have to check that you get the correct thread.
The back of the gauge has 4 connections; One obviously goes to the sump sender unit. Then there is an earth connection and another goes to an ignition terminal so that when you turn on your key, the gauge becomes active. The 4th connection is for the gauge lighting, not too sure where you would connect that.

that being said, I believe that engine oil starts to deteriorate at 130 degrees C. At that sort of temperature, the water in your car would be boiling over already so personally I would rather have a water temperature gauge and perhaps an oil pressure gauge.

I'm sure that I have a little oil can symbol on my instrument panel, but I'm not entirely sure what it's function is, pressure or temperature:dontknow:

Hello Mojobaby.
Since my original posting I have been doing some research into fitment points.
As you suggest one get an adaptor for the existing sump plug. Fit a sender into that and do the necessary wiring.
Second is to use a sandwich plate, fitted with sender attachment points, at the oil filter location.
Third is to use a LMA adaptor which fits where the existing oil warning light attaches to the engine block.

I will elaborate on these in a second post later.

Not the total picture but attached are 3 scanned sheets of LMA products.

• Scan0016.jpg
    Scan0016.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 9
  • Scan0017.jpg
    Scan0017.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 8
  • Scan0018.jpg
    Scan0018.jpg
    160.5 KB · Views: 6
Some pictures on my F4.
Take off point for my LMA oil pressure gauge fitment.
The LMA oil pressure and oil warning light arrangement.
Picture of oil filter area. I believe there is enough space to get the sandwich plate in that location.

I have sorted out that the oil filter is on a 3/4" UNF-16 thread.

• DSC00569.JPG
    DSC00569.JPG
    158.2 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC00570.JPG
    DSC00570.JPG
    209.2 KB · Views: 1
  • DSC00571.JPG
    DSC00571.JPG
    199.9 KB · Views: 1
Hi Tomcat
It seems like a fairly simple operation- I watched a Youtube video some months ago.
Basically you would need to get a new sump plug with a sensor fitted to it. I'm sure that they're available on Ebay or Amazon, but you'd have to check that you get the correct thread.
The back of the gauge has 4 connections; One obviously goes to the sump sender unit. Then there is an earth connection and another goes to an ignition terminal so that when you turn on your key, the gauge becomes active. The 4th connection is for the gauge lighting, not too sure where you would connect that.

that being said, I believe that engine oil starts to deteriorate at 130 degrees C. At that sort of temperature, the water in your car would be boiling over already so personally I would rather have a water temperature gauge and perhaps an oil pressure gauge.

I'm sure that I have a little oil can symbol on my instrument panel, but I'm not entirely sure what it's function is, pressure or temperature:dontknow:

It's an low oil pressure warning light.

Installing an oil temperature sender on a T junction with the oil pressure sender will not give you true readings, as there is no oil flow at this point. The sandwich plate is much more reliable, but I wonder if the filter will fit as it's already close to the bulkhead. The sump is the most suitable place to measure oil temperature.

Installing an oil temperature sender on a T junction with the oil pressure sender will not give you true readings, as there is no oil flow at this point. The sandwich plate is much more reliable, but I wonder if the filter will fit as it's already close to the bulkhead. The sump is the most suitable place to measure oil temperature.
Hello Angel.
Thank you for your comments.
I had come to the same conclusion. I have used sandwich plates in the past successfully but, as you say, room is very tight indeed.
Regards Tom

Back