Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Fixing Rear section R4 F4 exhaust pipe

Tomcat

Enthusiast
Assistance please. Renewing the exhaust system on my F4 van. Looking to clarify the fixing to body of the rear section of the pipe just before the angled section by the rear wheel.

The existing rubber bobbin has perished and I believe the top fixing is inside the van. On mine this is covered with carpeting. Will I have to strip out this carpeting to access the fixing?

Picture of internal fiixing would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hi Tom,

The bobbin fixes in a pre drilled hole in the floor just before the last box section. Just lift the carpet and unscrew the nut.
Its more or less plug and play.

Hi Tom,

The bobbin fixes in a pre drilled hole in the floor just before the last box section. Just lift the carpet and unscrew the nut.
Its more or less plug and play.
Hello Robert
Thanks for your comment. It was as I expected but before I pulled the carpet away needed to make sure. Carpet is stuck to floor.
Regards
Tom

If yoI've got factory toolbox behind front seats it will be inside there hiding in corner
Be aware the routing of pipe ' different on later cars running 100 mm inboard compared to early pre 92 vehicles
Some ex catalogues fail to mention this resulting in wrong parts supplied

If yoI've got factory toolbox behind front seats it will be inside there hiding in corner
Be aware the routing of pipe ' different on later cars running 100 mm inboard compared to early pre 92 vehicles
Hello Paul
Hope eye is recovering quickly.
Thanks for information. Previous owner had covered the interior in 15mm plywood screwed into stringers across width of vehicle. Took hours to get screws out of the section I suspected fixing was under. No success. Then with family matters and now the snow, investigation has not proceeded as quickly as I hoped. I will check out the toolbox area asap. Thanks.
Regards
Tom

I can now report that a new unit sits where it should after more drama.
Due to how a previous owner had fitted the plywood it was impossible to open the lid of the toolbox more than about 80 degrees.
I finished up dremeling the section below the floor out and then pushing the old unit through. Drilled a hole in a piece of wood and using a jack offered a new unit through and then with much fiddling about got a washer and nut fitted. It was impossible to remove the plywood which was well and truly stuck down.
Onto other bits now!!

Hopefully you fitted a genuine replacement Renault part as most of the ones supplied from exhaust centres last about a year I think I would have investigated making a steel plate with a nut built into it that would have stayed in place and then you could screw a replacement one up into it from underneath when the time comes to do it again :-)

Hopefully you fitted a genuine replacement Renault part as most of the ones supplied from exhaust centres last about a year I think I would have investigated making a steel plate with a nut built into it that would have stayed in place and then you could screw a replacement one up into it from underneath when the time comes to do it again :-)
Yes Paul. Genuine Renault part used.
Your point making a plate up noted.
Thanks Tom

Paul
Can you elaborate on this point please? My van is a '84 model F4. Thanks Tom

Is your f4 845 or 1108 can' remember
You had the parts books scanned so there must be some info there
All rhd 4 vans f4 and f6 had rear exit
The routing of pipes on 84 onwards vehicles cars and vans was moved inboard from the outer edge to enable easier lifting point acess in 2 poster ramps
Renault stopped supplying Early type with part numbers superceded to later inboard route type
I have got a 1996 bosal catalogue showing all 7 variations of system and can post pics if that helps

Is your f4 845 or 1108 can' remember
You had the parts books scanned so there must be some info there
All rhd 4 vans f4 and f6 had rear exit
The routing of pipes on 84 onwards vehicles cars and vans was moved inboard from the outer edge to enable easier lifting point acess in 2 poster ramps
Renault stopped supplying Early type with part numbers superceded to later inboard route type
I have got a 1996 bosal catalogue showing all 7 variations of system and can post pics if that helps
Hello Paul
Thanks for your comments.
I have a LHD 845cc F4.
The rear pipe I purchased is of the inboard type. It did not seem to be correct but now with some jiggling around of the vertical pipe after the silencer I can see a solution in sight.
I am definitely getting too old, to be lying on the garage floor sorting out the exhaust, in this cold weather.
Review of PR1104 and the Der Franzose catalogue has made it a lot clearer.
Thanks again.
Have a good Xmas and best wishes for 2018.
Regards Tom

General question about running a rear section of pipe on F4 and F6 vans to rear of vehicle.
I had understood that running a pipe to the rear caused exhaust fumes to come into the cabin.
Comments on this please?
Thanks

That is exactly what happened to me. I have new rubbers al around but the fumes managed to get inside through what ever gaps present.
Opening the front door windows made matters worse.
If you are in for a splitting headache or worse, run the pipe to the rear of a Renault 4 van.

That is exactly what happened to me. I have new rubbers al around but the fumes managed to get inside through what ever gaps present.
Opening the front door windows made matters worse.
If you are in for a splitting headache or worse, run the pipe to the rear of a Renault 4 van.
Robert
Thank you for your comment. Appreciated.
Yet it seems that RHD F4 & F6's had rear exhaust sections going fully to the rear.
Regards
Tom

go for (original) short pipe to front of rearwheel Tomcat.Less shit to rust under rear,less stress on exh.pipes
also gives nicer appearance
-Let stick out 2-3cm,angle end-pipe out and little downward and you won't see any exhaust-debris on body
-Reid.

Original UK construction and use law said exit to rear or offside for vehicle away fromy pedestrian ' on pavement
Just saying

Back