Regards Pavel :)

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 681
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 682
that is the condition my friends one is in

No wonder it is forgotten: it hasn't half the appeal of a 4L...

R6

it hasn't half the appeal of a 4L

I disagree and agree!

The 6 is a more civilised 4. Where I live the 4 only came with a fibre timing gear, drum brakes and a lot of noise from its small motor.
We had a few 6's here and they were a revelation in comparison. Quieter, faster,better braked and more "civilised" overall. It had the more modern look of the award-winning R16. (but without the high roof turrets)
In lots of ways it is ironic that the 6 didn't sell more. That it didn't, is probably a testimony to the brilliance of the original design and the later updates.

I may be biased because I have one!

Cheers,

David

It may be because car buyers don't always buy with common sense in mind. The R6 had the advantages of both the R4 and the R16, without some of their disadvantages, so it must had sold better than these, but it didn't! There are various factors in the "equation", but some are simply unexplainable.

What always comes to my mind is what happened with the British Leyland Metro vs the Mini, or the Citroen Dyane and Visa vs the 2CV...

Whether we like them or not The R6 is a very close relative of the r4 using both the 850cc and 1100 cc engines in the UK and the 956 at least in Spain.
As far as I can see they are disappearing fast with the RCCC only being aware of 8 plus the one known to 4GTL perhaps Malcolm you could make a corner for them here as they do not appear to have a home in the UK.

Angel is right, the 6 was never taken to peoples hearts like the 4l was and is!

My parents had one in the seventies (in pink) and my sister and I loved it, it rolled along really well with loads more space in than the previous 4.

We also ran a Dyane in the early nineties and several 2CV's we always preferred the Dyane over the 2CV too.

A Renault 6 came under the hammer at the auction at the St James bourse d'echange (autojumble) this afternoon and failed to attract a bid at €250 - it was running but scruffy outside, although the interior was good.
2 4cv's fetched €5000 each - one a 1949, the other a 1954, a Renault 9 fetched €750 - which seemed poor value when compared with a very tidy 1980's Mercedes 200 diesel saloon which only reached €650 - the boss almost had to hold me back!!

R6 prices in France do seem very reasonable.
There is a half decent orange TL with ct for 350 euro.

Does anyone here know if any of the floorpan of the 6 is shared with the 4?

As you can guess I am considering adding a six to keep my 4GTL company.

R6

All of the later gtl chassis are identical to the 6 and vice versa!
Mechanical, brakes and steering too!

Cheers,

David

I thought the R6 was on an F6 chassis but i could be completely wrong. Tel you what i will go and measure the wheelbase of my friends decaying R6 because if it is an F6 chassis, i have a feeling there will suddenley be alot of F6's with fresh revived french chassis under them.

there are loads on leboncoin like this one http://www.leboncoin.fr/voitures/195400181.htm?ca=7_s

F6

My understanding is that the F6 chassis is slightly longer than the F4.
And, so, the GTL underpinings are the same as the R6.

If you can preserve a Renault 6 then do it!

As the year ends so the restoration of my 850cc R6 is progressing well.
Having had the 4GTL and the two R6s during this year I have been more aware of what is happening with these two models.
During the year I have seen quite a number of R4s which would previously been thought of as only donor vehicles being returned to the road in a well restored condition and despite what some here say prices are rising, The last 4 or 5 good cars I have seen for sale exceeded £4000 and Derek the registrar feels that was too cheap for the amount of work undertaken.
In the Renault Classic Car Club the R4 is the fastest growing model and will soon exceed the 4cvs our most numerous car. So it looks like the future of the R4 is safe they are now recognised as classics and the numbers will continue to grow as younger enthusiasts choose them as their favourite classic.
But what of the R6? The DVLA only records 36 remaining cars and some of them are LHD imports.
In the RCCC we only seem to have 5 remaining on the road and I know of some rotting in gardens which could be some of the sorned DVLA numbers.
I have only encountered 2 previously unknown cars since raising the profile on the RCCC website.
So if you know of an R6 in the UK can you please let me know so that we can try and keep track of the few remaining cars and encourage people to restore those that can be saved after all most of the mechanical parts are shared with the R4 and parts are available.
It would be a shame if the only ones to survive were LHD imports.

I know of a white 6TL up here in Scotland with a full sunroof, but the owner won't sell it. Last time I saw it the condition was rather good, considering it's laying outside, but what it's like now I have no idea. It was missing it's carb for some reason, but complete apart from that. No idea what the reg number is, but if I see it again I'll take note, assuming it hasn't gone to the crusher.
Alan.

There is a chap in dartford who has 2 renault 6s one white and a green he was a the last kent run with them

Years since I saw the R6, the guy lost his premises and moved the collection of cars he had to different locations, I don't know where the R6 went to. What attracted me to it was it had a factory sunroof, lovely.
Alan.

Back