Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Fourgon Conclusion - Ready for the Run

mr-reno-139

AKA Paul Cunningham
Malcolm did say anything roughly R4 shaped is eligible so weather permitting my Yellow Peril is looking forward to its first trip for 7 years

i have owned it since 1985 ,( it was built 1978 as a LHD 845cc R2109) and having seen Plein Airs in books decided to build my own :) so a week later out came the angle grinder and air hacksaw shortly followed by a 1300 5ts conversion complete with disc front brakes and bigger rears off the 5ts

at the time my hobby was banger racing renault 16s so a quick measure up of the engine bay and after removing the central bulkhead area (who needs a heater with no roof ) in went 1647 tx engine bolted to 5 ts box
next problem was steering colum so changed dash to RHD and used R14 steering shaft i also modded 5ts pedals and fitted servo and fuego master cylinder

cant remember exact time scale but 2nd gear synchro was not up to 100 bhp so more measuring and angle grinding and 5 gordini turbo box was bolted to R20 Tl bell housing the whole lot bolted back in and even hides behind original chrome bumper

at this point decided on respray think it was 1993 ? and the chassis and floor pan were rustfree and original apart from reinforcing members welded in to restore strength --link to older photos http://www.renault4.plus.com/gallery/peoplespics/PPb/PP12.htm (on another site b4 i found this one sorry malcolm)

fast forward a few years of summer use and moisture has crept into normal places and now looking a little sad so as i cant weld :( it went no where until 2002 when i parked it in my workshop and cut out and made some repair sections and got a friend to weld it all up for me by then it was end of summer and lost interest

now thanks to the inspiration of this web site and some sunshine i have got a new mot after a small amount of work :D

so who else is coming ? look forward to meeting you all --- paul

ps i realise it would be nice to spend some more time on the body work but being self employed it wont pay the bills :(
especially as renault want £190 for a new bonnet and cant see it being cheap to get posted from any where else

• mini-IMAG0160.jpg
    mini-IMAG0160.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 154
  • mini-IMAG0161.jpg
    mini-IMAG0161.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 186
  • mini-IMAG0163.jpg
    mini-IMAG0163.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 152
  • mini-IMAG0059.jpg
    mini-IMAG0059.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 156
  • mini-IMAG0062.jpg
    mini-IMAG0062.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 155
  • mini-IMAG0060.jpg
    mini-IMAG0060.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 153
Brilliant news - hoping it won't rain now so I can have a ride in it and not get wet :D

I'll be there. I've washed mine and painted over some of the rust (apart from at the back which was sticking out of the garage in the rain). Would look smashing if I had decent wheels. Don't forget the boot floor! Will it fit in there?

Who else is coming along - sure a lot of people there must be forum members. Do say hello as it would be a shame to miss people who are actually there.

apparrently it wont matter if it rains as greeney is sending me an impermiable ? beret which will keep me warm and dry (and make me look even sillier probably)
how fast i can go without it blowing away is another issue

just been and taxed it so going for test run tommorrow

Malcolm - do you still want boot floor as you have located bits in germany , will collect from barn thursday if so plus anything else any body might want if it all fits in

MGUEZ cant make it because of work commitments , he did offer me his F6 to take rather than my red one if it looks wet (or i hadnt finished mine)

Definately I'll have the boot floor. The one from Germany is for another car (and in any case it hasn't arrived yet). Sorry mguez can't make it. That's two down now.

I'm sure it won't rain, and that the berret will work fine, and your test run will be a success, and the bits and pieces will fit in the peril. :D

I like your mods Paul it's not a peril it's a beast ....... even got a brake servo. The colour looks the same as mine. Enjoy your run.

test run results -
problem 1 was getting a a short distance and then no power under load ,made it back to workshop to discover problem 2 water leaking from pump :mad:

solved no 1 as remembered reading on here about filter on fuel pickup in tank , getting hold of a now obselete renault 16tx water pump was more of a problem :confused:
typing in QH number into google came up with Speedy Spares (local to me) who had 15 in stock !!

have been and collected boot floor for malcolm and a few boxes of R4 goodies so provided the water pump bolts dont shear off it should be sorted today

quick question - my oval plate country code (middle row) starts 411000 any idea where it was built for ,wasnt uk spec starts 700 or 600 ?

provided the water pump bolts dont shear off

ouch! I was removing all six sheared bolts from 1289 head this morning...

It should read 41 100, that means the basic French version.

edit: just saw it is RHD and equipment 100 is definitely LHD, could someone have swapped plates in the past?

Back