Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Front Axle Bearings ...

DavidN

Enthusiast
Hi there,

does anyone have a expoloded assembly drawing of a R4 front axle with disc brakes?
I have to replace the wheel bearings and there are so many different types.
I got a few pairs off eBay, but there are some with a rubber lip on the side, some with a rubber seal around the outside, some "closed" ones, and some where one can see the "balls" on the sides.

When I removed the old bearings I had on one side a "open" ball bearing with a rubber sealant "lip" on the outside and a "closed" bearing with a washer/spacer on the other side.
(Both have been the outer bearings).
:confused:

It's kind of confusing...

Thanks a lot!

David

front wheel bearings

I have an R4 parts catalogue, P.R.1104 for 1985. It seems to me that there is only one set of bearings for both drum and disc braked axles. They are a pair. The outer bearing part number is 7703090270, the inner 07703090271. They appear to be equal dimensions, at 30x62x16, and were available as a complete set, including grease, as number7701460637. Looking at the drawing, it looks as though the rubber flange is set innermost. I would suggest you go in to your local bearing suppliers, and ask if they have them on the shelf or in their catalogue.
Cheers Tim

I have an R4 parts catalogue, P.R.1104 for 1985. It seems to me that there is only one set of bearings for both drum and disc braked axles. They are a pair. The outer bearing part number is 7703090270, the inner 07703090271. They appear to be equal dimensions, at 30x62x16, and were available as a complete set, including grease, as number7701460637. Looking at the drawing, it looks as though the rubber flange is set innermost. I would suggest you go in to your local bearing suppliers, and ask if they have them on the shelf or in their catalogue.
Cheers Tim
Hey Tim,

thanks for that info.
As I already bought a lot of bearings I try to get two complete sets out of my private stock.

I'm a little confused with the rubber lip on the flange of the outer bearing (facing the wheel).
I have one (new) bearing that came with this flange.
But I have also a few "closed" bearings with a small rubber seal around their outside ring.
These bearings have no lip on their flanges.

Are these bearings interchangeable?
Or do I need some kind of washer/sealant in adition to the bearing?

Could you upload a scan of the catalogue page?

That would be awesome!

Regards,

David

Here's what the M.R. sais...

Seems that there has to be one washer on both outsides of the bearing-assembly. (One facing the wheel, one facing the driveshaft.)

And apparantly depending on the bearing that is mounted on the inside (with or without lip on it's flange) the size/thickness of the inner washer variies...

• MR-01.jpg
    MR-01.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 312
  • MR-02.jpg
    MR-02.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 315
These are the bearings I removed on the left axle.

Both Bearings are "closed" ones
One washer on the outside (facing the wheel, damaged now :()
Inner bearing with "lip" on it's flange (facing driveshaft)
Outer bearing with seal on it's outside ring

• Left-01.jpg
    Left-01.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 299
  • Left-02.jpg
    Left-02.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 306
These are the bearings I removed on the right axle.

Both Bearings are "closed" ones
No washer on the outside here
Inner bearing with "lip" on it's flange (facing driveshaft)
Outer bearing with seal on it's outside ring

• Right-01.jpg
    Right-01.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 297
  • Right-02.jpg
    Right-02.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 300
And here are the new bearings I have ...

2x Renault 7703090036 (both sides "closed", seal on outside ring)
FAG 6206 (one side "open", one side "closed", seal on outside ring)
FAG 6206.2RSR (both sides "closed")
SKF 18E1373 (?) (one side "open", one side "closed", lip on flange)
SKF 6206 (one side "open", one side "closed")

All the bearings have matching diameters/sizes, I'm just totally confused with the lip/no lip, seal/no seal, and open/closed thing...

If anybody could help... :rolleyes:

Thanks in advance!

David

• Bearings-01.jpg
    Bearings-01.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 297
  • Bearings-02.jpg
    Bearings-02.jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 298
  • Bearings-03.jpg
    Bearings-03.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 294
  • Bearings-04.jpg
    Bearings-04.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 297
Last edited:
You could have a look on www.skf.com there is a section on there that explains the types of bearings, this may give you some guidance.
I suspect that there is not much difference between the ones with seals and the ones without, one is 'sealed for life' the other type you can grease. I would add that I am not an expert and am prepared to be corrected by someone who knows better.
My brother does however sell bearings for a living, and has done for many years, so if you are unable to get any more sensible answers I can ask him to have a look at this thread and comment on it.

The bearings I buy both have the closed seal. But (as you say) the originals were one open seal and one closed seal.

That's about all I can add to this thread. I'm not sure which went where.

hello,
I used SKF VKBA 636! This is from my side the best solution. in our country it costs 26€ for one wheel!

In the past, i was putting ordinary bearing. Closed, but without the sealing rings. But this isn't so good solutinon, because water come in.

SKF vkba 636, You don't had to worry about opened bearings. You just must to orient right. In the inner place the bearing must be oppened. i used Lubricant...

And you must take care of right procedure to put barrings in house.

Hi there,

I have a question regarding the washer that was mounted on one side of my front axle.
It has a inner ring, made out of brass and an outer Ring out of simple sheet metal. The outer Ring is damaged now (bent).

Left-02.jpg

The M.R. sais that it is to eliminate a creaking noise/sound when starting to drive.

I don't know where to get such washers and wondering if I just could mount the bearings without a washer.
Would that do any harm?

As far as that "problem" is not solved my front axle will have to stay that way and I'm kind of stuck...
:(

Restauration-74.jpg

Thanks for your help!!!

David

The "factory spec" bearings were open on their inner sodes, to allow the inner space between them to be filled with grease (for better lubrication?) . I guess that the o-ring in the groove on their outer ring was to eliminate the slight possibility of moisture getting in / grease getting out between the outer rings and stub axle carrier. But since the bearings are a press fit on the stub axle carriers, this should not happen...
My experience with various bearing types I have used...
The SKF kit vlk describes is the most convenient to uses since it contains all you need in one box, no need to order two or three parts. Also, one bearing on this kit has a special outer seal (to be located closest to the driveshaft), to protect the bearings better.
The o-ring around the outer ring is not standard on all bearings.
There is absolutely no difference in perfomance/reliability if you fit two standard bearings, with both sides sealed, or if you remove the two inner seals and fill the space with grease.
The bearing fit must be relatively tight in the stub axle carrier housings. If you can push them in by hand pressure (not uncommon on high mileage R4s), the fit is not correct and there may be play on the wheel even though the bearings are new. In this case, degrease the bearing outer ring and its bore and apply some bearing retaining compound (similar to thread locking compound but thicker).
There is no difference whether you fit or not the "anti-squeak" copper washer between the driveshaft and the hub.

Back