Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Front brake upgrade

ailbek

Enthusiast
I have a Renault 4 in my garage for 4 years now waiting for restoration. I am planning in making a start on it one of theses days with some help from this website. I just came across this site and I am very impressed with the amount of info and restoration tips. Mine is a R4 TL 1981. One upgrade I would like to do on it is to change the fromt drum brakes to disc brakes. Has anyone any suggestions for this job. :D

Welcome to the forum.

I'm planning the same upgrade when I finally pick up a 1972 car. I can't see any reason why the complete front hub assembly from a GTL wouldn't bolt straight on.

Presumably your handbrake is on the front wheels at the moment? The disc brake cars have the handbrake is on the rear wheels so you'd need to change the rear hubs over and figure out some sort of handbrake routing.

Hey, that's exactly my model. I had that upgrade made some time ago and it goes just like Clementine said. GTL hub assembly, handbrake to the rear.
If you want I can make some pics.
These cars are like Lego, I love it

Hi Clementine & Enrique, that is good to know. Now all I need to do is get my hands on a scrap GTL model. Changing the rear hubs should be a straight swap but mounting the handbrake lever in between the 2 front seats might be a bit tricky.
If you have picturers of yours i would like to see them, thanks.
Ailbe

Hi Ailbek,
When you get around to doing that upgrade I'd buy the handbrake cables from you for a couple of euros if they're in reasonable nick. Im in birr with an 83 TL which has ultra stretched handbrake cables.
nicky

Oh, by the way: I don't know how the 81 TL was built over there, but in the Colombian model, the front seats are too close together for the GTL handbrake lever to fit in between...
Keep that in mind if that's the case with the British model
Will take the pics on wednesday (holliday here)
Cheers
Enrique

Hi Nicky, any chance you would have the ignition lock, door and boot locks and the matchimg key?
Ailbe :?:

No Im afraid not. only thing i have spare is a red back door thats a little rusty at the bottom.

hi my renault4 has got front drum brakes with hand brakes, It would suit me to have front disc brakes instead and rear drums with hand brakes. i wonder how i could do it ,what it will cost me help please .

Back