Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Front chassis cross member

bobjacqs

Enthusiast
As can be seen from the photo, I need this part. I'm not sure exactly what you call it. I think the part number is 08 20 664 400. Thanks, Bob.
Day 1 MAy 1 2016 sm.jpg

Unlikely anyone here has got spare best bet is look on der franzose website
Postage is not cheap but there is a large range of parts available
Best wait till you get body off as lots of repair panels listed

I take your point about waiting, Paul. The only reason I thought of replacing it now is that it might prove easier to manoeuvre the car later with something solid to hold and I won't have to look at that jagged rusty corner or catch my leg on it every time I squeeze past. Perhaps I'll cut it off :-)

Bob, I may be making assumptions here but from images of the cross member removal I've found elsewhere on the forum, it appears that it is spot welded to the longitudal chassis arms. If so, and I mention this as you may not have come across these before, but you will need a special spot weld drill bit. Unlike the conventional drill bits, this has a flattened end and a little point on the end to prevent the drill from wandering. I have one and they work a treat.

Worth checking the pictures on Der Franzose to work out what to chop off. They only supply the outer skin of the crossmember so far as I know.

Bob, I may be making assumptions here but from images of the cross member removal I've found elsewhere on the forum, it appears that it is spot welded to the longitudal chassis arms. If so, and I mention this as you may not have come across these before, but you will need a special spot weld drill bit. Unlike the conventional drill bits, this has a flattened end and a little point on the end to prevent the drill from wandering. I have one and they work a treat.
Good advice. Thanks. Bob

Worth bearing in mind on French and German websites like Franzose and Melun Retro Passion they won't call it a crossmember they tend to call it the Napoleon Chapeau or Napolean Hat (for obvious reasons).

Piet is correct as is Malcolm.
The inner part (thicker) is spot welded between the two longerons.
It is NOT available as a seperate part according to my research.*
The outer part is about 45 euro but has to be spot welded to the inner part.

*somebody prove me wrong!

Correct David M!

It doesn't make sense to try and replace the whole Napoleon Chapeau because it's spot welded to the inner. Not a big job, but unnecessary.

Looking at the photo it looks like most of the outer part is intact, its just the right front side which is damaged.

So a solution would be to make a new part to weld on, or rather buy a new outer and cut the part off that you need and weld it to the existing outer Napoleon Chapeau.

The purpose of the right hand side that is missing is merely to hold the inner wing in place.

It might even be possible to slide the new one over the old one

"It might even be possible to slide the new one over the old one". Why leave a twisted chunk of rusty wreckage in place? That's certainly not the right way of repairing it IMO.

Of course you're welcome to your opinion Paul, I merely suggested it as an alternative.

Cut both ends off the outer Napoleon hat and leave the middle part spot welded to the inner and then fit the new Napoleon hat to the remaining middle section. It can even be bolted on.

The proper way to proceed would be to cut out all the spot welds and replace completely. Obviously!

There are always many answers to a puzzle and you should try to have as many options as possible to arrive at the solution that suits you best.

Personally, I would buy a new Napoleon Chapeau cut the end off and use it to repair the damaged old part. It would save drilling out all those spot welds.

Its just that I well recall my early days in the 70s with 850 Minis and the popular bodge of covering the rotting sills with a new sill rather than cutting away the rusty one. A big no-no.

Back