Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Front torsion bars marks

lazyduck15

Enthusiast
Front wheel driver's side of my R5 is somewhat uneven compared with the other side. At the same time the car looks a bit lowered on the front.
After making the tool shown in Tech tips I have finally removed the bar and found some marks on both pieces, the bar and the sleeve.
Are they factory made marks to align both pieces? They may be marks made by previous owners perhaps?
:o

• LGIM0055.jpg
    LGIM0055.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 190
  • LGIM0003.jpg
    LGIM0003.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:
There must be marks on the suspension arm boss and the other end of the bar,too. These are to set the bar on the "theoretically correct" position, and then make minor ride height adjustment. I'm not sure if they must be aligned, your best bet is to find the workshop manual (which would also have the correct ride height measurements).

Thanks Angel!
I will check on the arm and look for the workshop manual in the net. I tried aligning both marks as there was just one spline distance and the differential angle between left and right arms was 20 degrees (?). My just made adjusting tool did not survive. I made it on hot rolled flat steel 6mm (1/4") thick 7 cm wide (3") . I will try again on 10 mm (3/8").

Last edited:
Well
I did a brand new wrench based on half an inch flat steel 7 cm wide, enlarging it also to 35 cm long instead of 30. The tool worked great. I have the bar marks aligned and the car leveled. :)

Back