Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Fuel & Brake pipes

hal7600

Enthusiast
I'm going to be replacing both fuel & brake pipes once the chassis is welded. The old fuel pipe is a slightly larger bore than the brake pipes. Does this matter or can I use the same diameter pipe for both?

You can't use the same diameter for both. Use copper / cuprinol brake pipe which is around 3/16" and for the petrol pipe it's probably 5/16" or 1/4" - why don't you measure them using calipers?. I am sure the metric martyrs will give you the up to dates sizes in Eurospeak!!!

As David says, it'll be like sucking through a very small straw instead of a hose pipe.

The engines fuel pump and carburettor and the rest of the fuel system will have been designed as one piece, so changing the fuel pipe for a smaller diameter will make it harder for the fuel to reach the parts its needed to be.

Your local car accessory shop will have the pipe in copper in the correct diameters get yourself down there and buy the right one.

Oh and don't forget to take the rubber hoses off the old pipes and reuse or replace if needs be, otherwise they won't fit back into the clips and will be lacking the protection in places like the front wheel arch.

Back