Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Fuel Delivery

Simon Knight

Enthusiast
Hi all,
today my GTL wouldn`t start, the problem, no fuel reaching the carb. I connected the inlet pipe on the fuel pump to a can of fuel and the car started perfectly. I reconnected to the fuel tank and the car runs fine. I had the same problem a couple of years ago. I assumed the fault was before the fuel pump so had the tank cleaned and the pipe from tank to pump replaced. Has anyone had the same problem or has any thoughts?

Cheers Simon.

Maybe fitting a pipe with a one-way valve would help? This might prevent the petrol from running back down the pipes and assist starting after it's been standing for a day or so.

Just a thought....

Hi Andre, thank you for the reply. If the car isn`t started for a while the fuel does drain back into the tank but if i turn the engine over a few time it comes up relatively quickly. Yesterday i turned the engine over for ages and nothing. Connect to a can of fuel and instant result. I did have a one way valve fitted a while ago but even though i use an ethanol inhibitor i got black bits in the carb which i suspect was the rubber inside breaking down, so i removed it. My only thought now is somehow an airlock? Thanks for the suggestion.

Cheers Simon.

Back