Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Fuel Pump Problem

Simon Knight

Enthusiast
Hi all,
2020 has started well, my 1986 GTL didn`t start today and the reason is that no fuel is coming out of the fuel pump. As there is fuel in the tank I guess that either the pump is faulty or the fuel line is blocked? Everything was fine a few weeks ago, so is it possible the pump can fail instantly and is there anyway to check if it has indeed failed? Any advice would be appreciated.
Also, where is the best place to buy a new fuel pump please?

Cheers Simon.

Hi all,
I blew down the fuel line into the tank,which was clear. I reconnected the line to the pump and still no fuel, so I guess the pump is faulty. Does anybody know if the pump can be reconditioned?

Cheers Simon.

Maybe you can first check the air bypass that sits next to the filler opening. If it is blocked you create a vacuum in the tank. And no fuel in the carburetor.
to make sure the the fuel pump is faulty. take a small plastic bottle put some fuel in it. Put the rubber hos that comes from the tank in the bottle. disconnect the rubber hose that goes to the fuel filter. Let someone start the car. I fuel squirts out of the rubber hose your pump is probably fine.
reparing the pump is more work then buying a new one.

Back