Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Fuel tank.

edwin

Enthusiast
Gentlemen, it appears that my fuel tank has fallen prey to rust at its lowest point. It is leaking, not a lot, but I know its there and will only get worse. I am using Ethanolmate now, but the damage was done in the previous ownership.

Is there any patent cure for this, some additive to pour in, like a petrol tank version of rad weld, or gasket repair.

There is a firm in Huddersfield or somewhere that will re furbish a petrol tank for about £400. A new tank is about £200 from Franzose. However, I have no idea how to get the thing that is inside the tank, out of the tank, it appears to be bigger than the hole available, and so I don't know how to use an old good tank I already have.

Help and advice please. Edwin

For pinhole leaks I have used this product: https://www.permatex.com/products/s...diator-tank-repair/permatex-fuel-tank-repair/ and has worked fine. I'm sure it's available from other makes, too. Better to remove the tank and turn it upside down so no petrol seeps over the repair area until the epoxy has cured.
Aftermarket tanks currently in production are the pre-75 26 liter ones, they fit in the place of the later tank but need the short sender / suction pipe unit (that is hard to find), or modifying the existing one.
The sender unit will not lift straight out of the tank, it will need some fiddling around, and turning to 90 degrees so that the float clears the hole.

Thanks Angel. You get advice from all over on this web site. Hope it carries on after Brexit.
I was hoping for a plastic lining that was poured in, type of thing. However I will look into permatex. I will look at the sender unit on the other tank as well, and see if i can make sense of that. Thanks again Edwin

The only safe way to fix a fuel tank that way is soldering, not welding or brazing. Only using a soldering iron though, otherwise you may set the fuel tank, and yourself, in an orbit...

Back