Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Gear Oil Change

gerald

hi all,
i recently baught a beautiful 84' GTL. i want to replace the old gear oil, but i can't seem to find the opening for the new oil :shock:
so how do you change gear oil for the R4?
thanks,
gerald

From memory, the drain plug is towards the front of the gearbox.

The filling plug is on the left-hand side of the gearbox, if you are standing in front of the car. Do make sure that you can undo the filling plug before you drain it!

jjad, thanks for the reply man. i checked the gearbox now and found a square-headed plug where you indicated (which looks exactly like the drain plug at the bottom of the gearbox). thing is, it's placed quite low, which makes me wonder if enough oil could come through it.
i also found another plug on the other side the gearbox (right hand side), which looks a little bigger and has a hexagonal shaped head. it is placed a little higher on the gearbox wall.
which plug should i use? and what's the purpose of the other one? (assuming it's not for draining, since its placed on the wall and not the bottom).

another thing - how much oil should be poured in? there are 2 kinds of 4-speeds gearboxed, this one is the newer (354)

thanks

Hello again, can't remember what the hexagonal plug on the other side is for - someone else on here should know (perhaps it is for a reversing light switch?).

See this thread for details of what oil to use. It should be suitable for hypiod gears. I used 75W-80.

I think you should fill until it reaches the level of the filling plug: about 2 litres I think.

Yes top plug is the reversing light hole, other one is box filler. Light switch is standard Renault, probably others too so fit lights while you are at it.
Allan

Back