Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Gear problem R4 GTL ???

Ivan

Enthusiast
Hello!

The problem is when I shift in first gear and release the cluch, there is a clicking sound coming from my engine and goes like (tik tik tik), but when I shift in the second gear everything seems ok and the car is runnig fine! I 've changed my cluch recently but this problem was present before I changed it. I have also changed both axels but the sound i still present! Strange is that the clicking sound is only present when I am driving in first gear. Oh yes the sound is getting louder and louder every day so I am afraid that it doesn't broke down when driving. I am pretty confused and out of options so if anyone knows what could it be i would be greatfull if it could give detailed answer!

Thanks! :cry: :P

Ivan, it sounds as if you have a chipped first gear cog. There are two ways of checking this. Drain the gearbox oil into a clean container and look for signs of metal, or remove the gearbox top cover and inspect the first gear cog. If this is the problem it's cheaper to fit another gearbox. As the noise does not occur in any other gear, it's unlikely to be the engine.

Let us know what you find.

Steve

Well thanks for your thinking. However I have managed to do what you told me the day before I posted this topic and It didn't occure to me to check the first gear. But if you could tell me in what position 1st gear stands I could check it one more time and maybe see if it is what you sad it is! I also belive that that could be the problem because when driving in first gear easily the sound is barely heard but when adding throttle the sound is louder and it feels like it's going to crack at any time :( . Oh yes I have only one question...is it possible to drive like that or something could happen or broke down and how long can I drive like this?? I know it's question based by subjective opinion but thanks anyway!

Ivan

Ivan, I can't remember where first gear is - maybe at the front? You'll need to take the top off, and with the car on a jack on one side only, get someone to turn the wheel very slowly and carefully inspect the gearwheels for damage. My car had this problem when I first got it and I went for a few thousand miles before I replaced the gearbox. After I stripped the box and saw that there was a tooth missing, I felt lucky that it had lasted that long.

Steve

Back