Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Gearbox change to an automatic?

kellyF

Hello i was wondering if anyone has changed a gearbox from a manual to an auto ,firstly is this possible?. If so any idea of costs involved and what has to be changed also. i really want a Renault 4cv 1954, currently its manual. i'd take it to a garage i couldn't do that myself.

This is a long shot, but I remember the Renault Dauphine was offered with the option of an automatic gearbox, which might be a possible way of arranging things, given that both were rear-engined and that the Dauphine was the successor to the 4CV. Later Renault 8s and 10s were available with an automatic box, although these recollections are from my car-centred childhood back in the 1960s, and I've never driven any of these cars with an automatic gearbox.

It is possible you could find a 4CV 'Ferlec' which has a semi-automatic transmission with stick but without a clutch pedal ... however I can't imagine there are many about, this is likely the best for what you want.

I believe the automatic transmissions in the Dauphine were all pushbutton systems with an electro-controlled clutch. The 'easiest' way to do a swap would be to transfer the entire motor, gearbox and electronic control system from a Dauphine automatic into a 4CV. Finding an auto Dauphine won't be easy and you will likely have to rebuild the motor, transmission and electronic control system from a scrap car. This will still be expensive and complicated for an end result that won't be that pleasing.

The Dauphine had only the Ferlec clutch option, like the 4CV, no push-button gearbox. This was available on the R8/R10 and was the old three speed manual gearbox with an electromagnetic clutch and a mechanism (electric motors) to move the selector forks - just like todays motorized manual gearboxes. Needless to say, there were no electronics to control gear changes, only relays housed into a box ("control unit").

The R4 'box is specific to the model and not the same as the 4CV or Dauphine type (the latter two had an end linkage and the R4's pokes out of the top). But, with some work, it may be possible to graft in an automatic. Did any early MK1 R5s have a clutchless transmission? Notwithstanding the likely high cost, electric power would achieve a similar level of driving ease.

Back