Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

gearbox - think its broken!

Andy_L

hey all,

please tell me it's not the gear box lol.

My Problem - I was driving along on a normal Monday morning to work as every one else does.. then all sudden its felt like the drive shaft popped out and went back in but not all the way.. ( this is what i thought!) so as im trying to come off the main road going into Birmingham is was struggling to get any drive to the drivers side wheel. every time i put it into gear it just seems to be trying to drive but ther wasn't enough motion to turn the wheel. so i got finally got it back home thanks to the breakdown service! striped the wheel off and out comes the drive shafted..

There seems to be no problem with the drive shaft its all moving fine both ends but on the gear box there's a like a shafted part that comes out that the drive shaft slots on to - well

Should be able to pull that shaft in or out ?

when i pull it out and turn it there seems to be a clicking noise coming from the gearbox - but when i push it in the click noise stops!

How would i know if the gear box has gone ?

when i had the drive shaft out i started the engine and the shaft that comes out of the gear box starts turning - is this right i.e should it turn with the engine on ?

can any one help me out? or give me any idea's ?

Many Thanks
Andy

hi andy
guessing youve got a clio/ megane/ laguna/( as you havent said) with a jb/ jc box

there is /was supposed to be a circlip and thrust washer holding diff together
(clio williams etc has clamp bolts to hold clip in )

shall i guess you may have non standard wide wheels and tyres and occasionally accidently let the clutch in fiercely resulting in wheelspin ?

new parts from dealer will cure problem unless circlip groove is damaged
suggest slightly more careful driving will help

I think you'v hit the nail on the head mr-reno-139. Ive seen this happen loads with the wheelspin brigade. Also on scenic the O/S driveshaft has a splined sleeve on the end of the driveshaft that fits on the diff output shaft. I think these must be made of french chocolate cos it wears the inner spline away on the shaft. Only available as a full shaft @ £200

Back