Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Gearchange Refurbishment

Ewhorn

Enthusiast
Hi Everyone

I need some advice about refurbing the gearchange on my 1989 Portuguese R4 GTL.

Using parts from Der Franzose, I have dealt with the bush at the gearbox end of the selector. The bush on top of the radiator is OK (not great - the rubber part is a little perished, and it has clearly been forced into the metal bracket badly, but it will do for now.) My problem is at the cabin end. When I got the car, there was a rubber bush and a plastic ring around the lever inside the car, and a nylon bush around the selector in the engine bay, all loose and doing nothing.

I know that the plastic ring should be over the end of the selector tube in tha cabin. Logic tells me that the nylon bush should fit inside the rubber bush, which should then be fitted inside the selector tube in the dashboard, followed by the plastic ring as a finisher. However, I can see no way of doing this as, even without the rubber bush, there is no way that the nylon bush will fit inside the tube from the dashboard end. Neither Haynes nor the parts book are much help here, so can anyone advise me?

Perhaps I have just misunderstood the sequence or the positioning of these parts.

Ewan Horne

Are you looking at the right part? This nylon bush looks like a short thinwall tube and fits in a recess in its rubber housing-it may well be there.
I think that the bush hanging loose over the engine bay side of the lever (more of a ring than a bush) is for the anti-rattle spring that clips on the rearmost rocker cover retaining nuts.

Are you looking at the right part? This nylon bush looks like a short thinwall tube and fits in a recess in its rubber housing-it may well be there.
I think that the bush hanging loose over the engine bay side of the lever (more of a ring than a bush) is for the anti-rattle spring that clips on the rearmost rocker cover retaining nuts.

Thanks for the reply, Angel.

That makes sense, so the thinwall tube is missing. The nylon bush I have is shown in the attached photo. It tapers internally from both ends. Any ideas?

I have the anti-rattle ring, which is black.

• IMG_20190111_111121.jpg
    IMG_20190111_111121.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 0
Angel

Problem solved! I found the thinwall tube when it fell out from the heater housing as I was taking that out. Thanks to you, I new what it was.

The plastic bush on the photo is for the gearbox end of the shift lever, should be fitted in the rubber grommet.

Back