Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Getting the 4GTL running better!

back in the old days the little plastic restrictor valves used to live in the middle of the pipe pushed in and forgotten about until pipe went manky
if you fit new pipe it is best to get new resarictor valve as hard to remove old one
certainly on r5 renaul supplied a modded design which means cutting new pipe !!and pushing sleeved ends in (usually colour coded green was common )

another possible air leak could be manifold gasket as MGUEZ found out last year
try spraying wd40 next to cyl head with engine idling (flammable caution but never had a prob)
tickover will alter if leaking

paul

Many thanks for all the suggestions - there was no restrictor valve - must confess I took the old pipe off and chucked it in the bin without looking inside it. Went off to the main dealers in St Lo, storeman got out the book, blew the dust off :), and gave a very knowing chuckle when I explained what I wanted and told him that the car did not run very well without it! Anyway its on order, hopefully will arrive Tuesday morning and by Tuesday evening we'll be purring.

Will let you know how it goes with its new bits!!

Part arrived today via Renault St Lo. It must be an updated version - I had to cut the pipe and fit the two cut ends on the restrictor valve.
5 minute job, put the carb back to the settings recommended by Malcolm earlier in the thread, backed off the throttle stop screw, fired it up and off down the road for a test run. What a difference!! :D car goes like goose grease off a hot shovel - well relatively! - it now goes better than at any time for about 9 months.
Don't know whether to put it back on fleabay and shift it on or keep it.

Many thanks for all the help and encouragement.

PS anyone an expert on Solex 6000 mopeds?

I dont mean to hijack this posting BUT Would or could this account for my judderyness on acceleration on the F4 (unless I pull choke out) After this posting I looked at mine and notice the same pipe is very hard and brittle but it seems I have a revised one on the 93car as it has a little red push in valve which you can see from outside?
I am going to change the distributor tomorrow but I did try sucking the vacuum valve and the plate moves ok so I dont know!!
Another thing, the vacuum pipe that runs from the carb to the vacuum valve on the distributor near the valve itself has a little joint tube but it has a pin hole in it is this usual?
Yet another thing, the distributor i am changing is slightly different in as much as the adjuster for the points is on a threaded bar that extends to the outside but the other one is just a little slot screw on the base plate both are ducellier and look exactly the same. Is it ok to use it?:roll:

The 'inline valve' is red in colour.
if its any help the part number is 77 00 747 932 and its 3.68 euros hors taxe.

bonjour monsier vert
see i can do french too (even sans beret)
unlikely to be same prob on your f4 as without valve it is impossible to get car (voiture) to tick over at all of any sense
best carry on in english (and ignore my keyboard skills)
if we assume your f4 is 1108 then yes a gtl distributor will fit
ducellier is the best type i think we have all agreed on( throw all femsa and magnetti marelli distributors in bin )

HOWEVER distributor numbers will vary according to engine code ie C1E ** / 688 **etc due to diferring Compression ratio and how renault were feeling that year
safest to match advance curves EG R244 D59 , R289 D60 (these are R5 codes forgotton all R4 ones )as other wise may pink or not advance enough but 5 MK1 dist will work in my experience ok
later distributors had externally adjusted points much better for checking dwell angle when running beware nasty pattern points

However sticking my neck out here if you have got zenith 28 IF carb think it will be worth taking off airfilter mounting plate and carefull removing small bowler hat cover (15mm dia ?)rivetted on top of float chamber and cleaning or disposing of filter hiding under neath
this is designed to vent float chamber and with modern fuel gums up due to under bonnet heat resulting in fuel starvation

read this thread http://www.renault4.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=1229

this mainly afects electric fan models as older 845 had constant air flow from mech fan

finally yes lots of renaults had small hole in vac advance pipe but JE NE SAIS PAS

paul

Oh my god what a difference
I did all of the above twice in fact as I had 2 carbs I did note too the gauze filter on the newer one was not so fine as the one I had on the F4 but both clogged up fully
I also replaced the pipe from the manifold to the carb and rockerbox with new and the new valve, the original pipe was hard and cracked and the internal valve would not blow through so obviously blocked
Once I got the F4 started again it ran so smooth warmed up and pushed the choke in and responsive again.
Thank you everyone you are all genii
I have added a photo for others to see. as you see I added a tiny screw to the cap so I can do it again as a matter of service

2a0208f0.jpg

glad to be of help this was a very common problem back in the good old days
how many dealers fitted new carbs for no good reason !!

maybe this would be worth getting clementine to do a how to fix your carb guide as think clementine has been cat - napping leaving malcolm to do all the work !!!

ps nice touch using torx headed screw

paul

Back