Got the R4 bug now

Martin Hall

Enthusiast
Hi
You might remember I brought a rather nice R4 1987 one a couple of months ago
Well I have really got the bug for them now
I have recently brought 2 on French ebay Surprisingly for not much money
Check the item listing

http://cgi.ebay.fr/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...40003554788&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWN:IT&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.fr/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...20003759803&rd=1&sspagename=STRK:MEWN:IT&rd=1

I have just got back from picking up the 1971 beige one
It is still on the trailer, There is a lot of corrision on the floor pan but none on the chassis or around the suspension The car has not been started since 1992 so first job in the morning will be to try and fire it up
I guess I shall be asking a few questions about the restoration soon
I am not going to restore it to showroom condition but as a evryday runabout
Martin

That 1971 car looks like an excellent buy. I feel the French are pragmatic about their transport and would consider it old, but we could consider it one of the cool cars with the nice grille and no tax. Just a lot of effort to go over there with a trailer.

I'm starting to lean to the drive them without bothering to restore them first mindset. Makes a lot of sense, and wayoyl everywhere should stop them rusting any further.

Let us know how you get on.

Hi
Picked up the blue one this evening Although newer it is by far the better car had been standing for 2 years but started after about 30 seconds on the starter and a cup of petrol down the carb Easy to drive onto the trailer I think the blue one will make a easier one to get on the road first It had been used on a farm for a while and has a thick layer of mud underneath But I cant find any rust in it yet apart from the top inner edge of the near side wing (Right hand side) Has near new tyres all round and lovely plastic seats

We dont dont have cheap road tax for old cars in France Or road tax at all But have to display mot (CT) and insurance on the windscreen

Spent several hours trying to get the beige one to run First no petrol at carb and also no spark Have got petrol now by using a pipe and can But cannot get a spark at the plugs Have tried changing the coil and got the points to open but still no spark suspect the rotor arm or condensor The ignition leads dont look to healhly either May be best to change every part of the ignition system
Any suggestions would be appreaciated
Martin

Hi
Got the beige one to go today Must have been the condensor that was at fault As soon as I replaced the condensor with a R5 ducellor one it started to fire and splutter straight away
Had a scarry moment though I took it for a run down the track but when I got to the road I forgot no foot brakes and had a few seconds of panic as I could not find the handbrake lever My other 4`s are on the floor between the seats This one is a pull lever under the dash
Considering this engine has not been run for 14 years it is very good The throttle sticks a bit but it ticks over very smoothly
Martin

I had a similar problem with lack of brakes once, but it wasn't my car. It was a Morris Minor that was sharing my garage, and I was driving it in after an evenings work. Couldn't find the handbrake (it was dark) and my own car flew 300mm into the air during the crash!

All my old Renaults have run OK after years of neglect. Normally I clean the points and use an external fuel container tied to the windscreen wipers.

I have now worked out how to add pictures to a post

So have added my 2 recent restorations projects cars
The blue one only needs new front wings to put back on the road and maybe a better way to tie the battery down It is a bit of string at the moment

• 2x R4.jpg
    2x R4.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 323
The blue car is now finsihed and the CT completed
I have painted it in a nice shade of blue brush painted but looks Ok The car is not a museum piece but a car to use every day for local runs
Have updated the picture

• 133-3309_IMG.jpg
    133-3309_IMG.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 265
It looks great! I think the black bumpers look cool

I wish R4s were so easily available here,

Back