Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Greetings

MeFeinMcCabe

Enthusiast
Hello there

I'm thinking about getting my R4 on the road again after being garaged for a few years after it failed its MOT, so I thought I'd sign up for some inspiration. There's some crackin' members' cars

Not mechanically minded at all so maybe after a few tips, which I see is well catered for under tech tips and restoration.

This is mine D-Reg 1986, 30000miles. Needs a wee bit of TLC. But I'm determined to have it up and running by the summer.

• ALEX 006.jpg
    ALEX 006.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 90
welcome to the forum

your car looks far to nice to be sitting on grass as moisture will find its way into your chassis ( and corrosion is R4 s worst enemy )

everything else is easy to fix in my opinion ,post up the mot failure list and we will all encourage you how to fix it

good luck paul

Dont usually keep her outside. She's been garaged fo nearly 8 years. Only move her outside to keep the engine ticking over.

Here's the MOT failure

• MOT.jpg
    MOT.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 84
Well goodness me thats a days work, apart from the welding probably a good weekend including welding and a service.
As long as it hasnt deteriorated in the last 8 years should be pretty easy to get her up and running, I always start with an engine flush, rad flush and a fuel system cleaner to start the service off, drain fluids and replace, I would replace as a matter of course the points condensateur, dissy cap, rotor arm, plugs, and HT leads.
The rest I am sure we can talk you through as you go none of it too difficult though

No trouble that lot. The horn will be a bad earth, the foglamp and sidelamp bad connections or earths (or at the worst bulbs). Clean up and twiddle the connectors and they should work

Headlamp aim will probably be because someone has fitted a LHD headlamp - Fredrick the frog has the answer in tech tips. Replacing the steering gaiter and front dampers are easy with the new bits.

I'd suggest the welding in the front floor is done under strict conditions. Get them to cut out all the rusty metal before patching. Otherwise the repair will only last until the next MOT. With the rusty stuff removed it should last for years.

Looks like a very good original car from the photos. None of the usual signs of messing around or deterioration, so an excellent project to put back on the road.

Back