Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

GTL drinking water

jjad

Enthusiast
Hello,

Do you think a thirsty GTL (water) is likely to be a head gasket failure? Having to top up the expansion tank bottle every few weeks.

There is no sign of water leaking from the cooling system. Doesn't appear to be water in the oil either.

Any ideas?

Thanks

It's unlikely to be the head gasket. Those tend to push all the water out in a very short time and cause overheating.

Most common problem is the crimped join between the plastic sides and metal matrix on the radiator. You can get small cracks in the plastic under the crimp that are barely noticeable, but you might see antifreeze residue around the cracks.

Other than hose connections the other odd one to watch for is the bottom hose. It can rub through on the steering column (RHD cars) if the little metal hook isn't in place.

And a last one - check the little rubber seal is in place on the expansion bottle lid. I did a spot check of 3 cars a couple of weeks ago and found the seal was missing on two of them.

Just the radiator

Thanks for the advice Clementine.

You were right! It is the radiator which is slowly leaking - not fast enough to drip onto the floor.

Looks like a new one is in order.

Know of any motor factors which still supply them!?

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
I reckon most original 1100cc radiators have gone or are on their way out now. Worth sorting when they start to leak. I let the one on my old van leak for too long and ended up having to replace the head gasket. Strangely all of the 850cc cars I'ce seen still have their original radiators.

I think most motor factors and Renault themselves still supply them. Worth getting a price from Renault as their parts do tend to be better quality. From memory motor factors charge about £80 for them.

Try Serck's as they may still list them. If you get one from Renault they want the old one back (don't ask me why) and they are more expensive.

The reason the earlier radiators lasted longer is because they are made of brass and copper and are rebuildable!!

Steve's right Sercko Unipart can still get them and they cost around £58.00.
Hope that helps.

Rudi.

Thanks

Thanks for all your advice. Decided to go for a genuine Renault one in the end.

Turns out that the new Renault radiators are an all-metal construction, so hopefully won't split at the sides unlike the old one which split at the metal/plastic join.

Last edited:
Now the temperature warning light comes on!

Have replaced radiator, bled system (twice!) and fitted new spade connectors to the sensor on the radiator, as the fan wasn't coming on.

Now the fan comes on OK, but... the temperature warning light comes on after driving for about 15mins. This light has never come on before (even with the old, leaking radiator).

The lead is not shorting out on the exhaust manifold.

The expansion tank does get hot after 15mins driving, but isn't boiling.

Has anyone got any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Gave it a final bleed and a little more air came out.

Now seems to be fine (warning light doesn't come on anymore) and R4 is not overheating, so I am assuming that it is fixed.

(The only other possibility is that the water is so low in the engine that it doesn't reach the sensor, but I suspect that something nasty would have happened by now if that were the case).

Thanks for all your helpful advice. Wouldn't have been able to do it without you guys.

Back