Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

GTL engine removal

mojobaby

Enthusiast
Hello everyone, my problem started a few weeks ago with a knocking in the engine when I accelerated or went up a steep hill.

At first I thought it was my new drive shafts which I had just installed. After taking them out and putting them back a few times I realised it wasn't that.
I eventually traced the problem to the bush in the upper wishbone suspension. The bush was completely worn out.

At the same time I discovered that the support strut that goes from the engine mount to the block was missing. Thanks for the tip David M:)
I eventually found a second hand one on Le Bon Coin and only paid 10Euro for it. I just had to clean it up and repaint it.
IMGP1221.JPG
Unfortunately, it doesn't fit correctly. It seems that my whole engine is too low by about 1cm.

I think it might be my engine mounts as the rubber is flat and perished, so I have ordered new ones which will arrive next week.

I've decided to take the whole engine out as well for a good clean(started already) ,so if anyone needs photos of parts in difficult places, let me know

The support bracket you've bought is correct just that without it the engine mounting bracket will bend upwards under the weight of engine normally you can jack engine up underneath and then put lever bar under starter to realign it all but it is a pain because it is really difficult to line bolt holes up

yes, very frustrating!. Always a few millimeters out whatever I tried.

So, just waiting for new engine mounts which I'll put in once I've taken the engine out. I'm sure the bracket will be then easier to fit.

I noticed to day that there is more rubber on the right side engine mount. the left side rubber is thinner as if the engine is hanging more to the left.
When I removed the starter motor there were only 2 bolts holding it in place instead of 3.
The radiator was also only held in place by the right hand side. the left side was free with the bottom nut missing. The support struts stopped it moving around.

Can anyone help me with identification of this part. it's above the manifold next to the rocker cover
IMGP1240.JPG

I noticed to day that there is more rubber on the right side engine mount. the left side rubber is thinner as if the engine is hanging more to the left.
When I removed the starter motor there were only 2 bolts holding it in place instead of 3.
The radiator was also only held in place by the right hand side. the left side was free with the bottom nut missing. The support struts stopped it moving around.

Can anyone help me with identification of this part. it's above the manifold next to the rocker cover
View attachment 15091

It is a temperature sensor.
The wire will feed the red temperature light in your dashboard.
Sometimes the sensor is located in the water pump. A problem with that location is that if the coolant leaks out, the sensor has nothing to sense. So the light stays OFF even though the car is overheating.
The sensor you have can record the cylinder head getting hot if you have coolant loss. The dashboard light will come ON giving you the warning you need.

That's strange I relied to this post saying same thing and it's disappeared
Be aware it puts light on at 115 c Ignore at risk of terminal engine damage

Thanks, that's nice to know. My 850cc has the sensor in the water pump which if I remember correctly comes on at a much lower temperature and it is therefore possible to dip it in boiling water to test that it still works.

Happy new year comrade....
I got problem....the bolt that tight this temperature sensor got lost:scared:...can l use different bolt to tight that sensor?

Happy New Year to you too Ndelilio!

When I removed my steering rack today, the shim on the right hand side dropped out before I could see if it had been correctly put in. Judging by marks left by the washer, I think it was correct.

I was careful with the left hand side and checked it before I removed the bolt. It was upside down, as you can see in the photo.
So the last person who worked on my car 4 years ago and left off a bolt from my starter motor and also the radiator must have done this as well. They probably didn't know how important it was.

I haven't had a problem with steering or tyre wear or alignment, but when I put the steering rack back in the car I will make sure the shim is put in correctly.
IMGP1242.JPG

So if I have a temperature sensor on my cylinder head as in the photo above, then this temperature sensor which is mounted on the side of the radiator, measures the temperature of the coolant and turns the fan on when it reaches a certain temperature?

Would this be instead of a temperature sensor in the water pump??
IMGP1226.JPG

Mojobaby you are right that sensor in your radiator is for turning on the cooling fan only.
It not connected to the sensor in the water pump or on the head. They are for the dashboard light

Yes Petak, onto the operating table (wooden pallet) for a quick facelift

This is how it looked after 12 years of driving. There are some places that are impossible to get to when cleaning
IMGP1251.JPG
and with a bit of cleaning its starting to look better

IMGP1253.JPG
and here is a photo for Azazello, the bulkhead is dented in about 3 cm. I can still get my hand in the space so I don't think you have to hammer much

IMGP1259.JPG

Is that the only bit of metal needing hammering?
This is really a good news, not much to worry about!
Thanks again!

In the past, a few people have asked how to remove the handbrake cable from the bracket. It's a push fit so you just have to tap it out from the back. I've just done it and took a photo
IMGP1256.JPG

My engine mounts have finally arrived, its a pity that they weren't posted before Franzose closed for Xmas and the New Year.

Comparing the old one to the new one, its no wonder that I was having problems. Perhaps Malcolm was correct when he suggested that the exhaust was hitting the hole in the inner wing. Who knows what an engine does under load when the mount is so worn.

The mount on the right hand side is in good condition but I'm still going to replace it as well with a new one
IMGP1266.JPG

I presume you have got the support bracket that fits over starter and attaches to block and engine mounting IMG-20160108-WA0004.jpeg

Back