Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

GTL engine removal

I hope so too, Azazello!
Thanks for the photo, Paul. A few weeks ago, I managed to buy a second hand one from someone on le bon coin.
As a matter of interest, have you any idea what this might be? It says "Facon 2601+0,01uF 25V Made in France"
It was attached to one of the studs which hold the coil to the inner wing.
From the same stud, a flat braided cable leads to one of the bolts that secure the engine mount to the engine block.
If I Google that number, it says "capacitor" which still doesn't help me
IMGP1268.JPG

It is a radio interference suppressor there is supposed to be a wire coming from the base goes across output of alternator also used on ignition coil same idea
IMG-20160108-WA0008.jpeg
I've got loads of these still in stock ☺

I put the engine back into the car over the weekend. Looking a lot cleaner at last. I found that Diesel works best to remove old oil and grime from the outside of the engine, but then it leaves a slightly oily surface which attracts dust, so I had to use petrol to get the Diesel off.
IMGP1286.JPG

My engine is now back in the car with just a few more things to do.
Seeing as I had some red paint left over from my other car I decided to repaint my rocker cover to give some colour to the engine

IMGP1308.JPG

IMGP1309.JPG
Sometimes its the smallest detail that gives the biggest headache. Both my cars have the bolts that hold the gearbox front mounting to the chassis with the head on the outside of the chassis.
This way the gearbox rests on the bolt threads which is not such a good idea.
I changed the top two around with the nuts on the outside so all the weight is now on the smooth part of the bolt

IMGP1288.JPG

Thank you Ndelilio!

Painted the support struts today and fitted the radiator. Also filled the gearbox with oil and the engine oil as well.
IMGP1319.JPG

Even the alternator is looking like new again
IMGP1321.JPG
When I was finished with the gear lever I found I had left off a small plastic ring. You can see it on the right of the next picture. It seems to have a spring attached to it. I've never had a spring, but the plastic ring has always been there.

Can anyone please tell me the purpose of the ring (and spring)?

Picture 1.png

I think in our GTL there are two such plastic rings with springs attach. Presumably they absorb some of the vibrations in the gear lever.

Not important really designed to be attached to bracket on rocker cover nut
Most have long disappeared anti rattle was the idea

Thanks Jjad and Paul, 'll just leave it off completely. It'll save me having to dismantle the gear lever again:)

Thank you all, my engine is finally back in place and all the electrics are connected and working. I haven't taken her for a test drive yet because its been raining for 2 weeks and there's so much mud.

When I installed the carburetor, I over tightened the bolt that holds the choke cable and broke the wire, so I had to buy a new one.

Can anyone please tell me the significance of that small rod on the side of the carburetor and how do you set it correctly? All I know is that it governs the choke flap
IMGP1327.JPG
IMGP1329.JPG

The rod on the side adjustment for choke fast idle speed trial and error as too much on way it will rev too much on choke
Or chug and cut out if not enough to raise rpm

Thank you Paul, those are exactly the symptoms I had. Chugging and cutting out and I ended up with a long line of black soot behind the exhaust tail pipe.
I have the perfect position now, through "trial and error" as you say

I've been trying to get my engine to idle a bit smoother. It's very erratic and I'm convinced that its a carburetor problem.

It's a Zenith28 carb and when I turn the single mixture screw either in or out, it makes no difference at all. I can even remove it completely and the engine sounds the same.
I removed the whole carburetor and the screw and squirted carb cleaner through the hole and its clear.
The petrol pump filter is clean and the filter in the carb is also clean

Any advice would be welcome, please

When engine is idling have a look in top of carburettor
I suspect you will see fuel dripping down into engine
At this point having cleaned carb as thoroughly as possible after soaking whole thing in cellulose thinners I have usually given up and tried another carb
Not much help but can you borrow one to eliminate it as cause
Manifold gaskets to cylinder head can suck in air
Or is the breather pipe which goes to base of manifold up to t piece fitted with plastic restrictor jet ?

Thanks for the advice Paul, I checked all your suggestions today and the manifold gaskets do look a little worn, so the next time I order anything I'll be getting another set.

BUT....and I feel so stupid even mentioning this; I carried on checking everything else and I found number 3 spark plug very loose and so obviously no compression there:doh:

I tightened it up and the engine is now literally purring like a kitten.

So that took 2 days to figure out!

Back