Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

GTL Progress Update

politeperson

The restorator
So,
I made up a blanking plate below the fuel pump. that is sorted. Then I bled the rear brakes with some weight on the rear wheel, brakes now feel OK.

I blanked off a vacuum hole in the inlet manifold that was sucking in air and set the timing. Does that mean it is from a car with a servo?

Screwed in the dash plastics and shelf (binnacle surround and steering column cowl). They are knackered and need replacing ideally.

I fitted one of those new £70 carbs on Ebay that look a bit like a Solex item with an accelerator pump. Seems to work well. Smooth idle and good acceleration. I know it says £109, but for some reason I got a discount. Dont ask me how.

Fitted the blower motor housing, I need a nob for the water valve.

Noticed the alternator was out of alignment, so I adjusted the lower bracket and the belt seemed happier.

Then I took her for a ride around the yard.

Drives very well, feels nice and tight with new suspension bushes, tyres etc.

No leaks. Throttle cable needs replacing or lubricating. Bit sticky.

The folding roof works very well.

But, air bubbles are coming up through the expansion bottle.

I bled the cooling system using the heater bulkhead valve.

Head gasket? If the consensus is yes, I will whip the head off tomorrow am.

20220723_183721.jpg

Thanks Edwin, been away just come back.
I made a list of the bits I need in Wanted. They are all the bits you might find on a rusty car, so I might be in luck.
Will probably just spring for a new rad/switch and rear door seal.

I wired the fan on with the ignition for now and it seems to be holding its temperature well, so as usual Malcolm is correct.

I have been in France playing with my Ami. I parked it in the garage 2 years ago after the points/condensor packed up.

I fitted a 123 ignition and she fired up on the first turn of the key. 2 year old fuel. 1971 and zero corrosion! Original paint, like the GTL.

20220802_121954.jpg

No. Not original.

It is a one piece second hand Renault Twingo cassette, around £200 from Germany+ £50 ish delivery to the UK.

They take a few hours to fit, just confidence, an angle grinder with a 1mm cutting disc and a drill. It should include 4 finishing pieces for the headlining that you stick on after you bolt it in place.

It is a perfect fit for a Renault 4

They had loads on Ebay when I looked last week.

Love the folding roof I want one too
The hole in the intake manifold goes via a pipe to another pipe which goes into the top of the carb the other end going to the breather on top of the rocker cover this small pipe must have a 5.5mm restrictor in it
It is all a early type of emissions control I have inserted a oil catch can in the pipe from the rocker cover works well ( I have one on my Nissan D40 V6 and it stops the expensive EGR valve clogging up )
BEWARE of the company you bought the carb from they also list a R4 electronic distributer it is not it is one with standard points when I wanted to return it as it was not as listed they made me pay return posted
and then added insult to injury by trying to blackmail me into leaving positive f/back before paying me back the postage.Look at there feedback history its poor with lots of the same
Have lovely day and keep the Renault faith as we appear to be a small band just 101 GTLs on the road and 200 SORNed
Gerald

Thanks Gerald, only 101 GTLs of the road!
We are the elite.

The GTL is looking very nice I have just started on a 1985 GTL but lack 3 wheels. does anoyne know of any?
William 07710 649213

The GTL is looking very nice I have just started on a 1985 GTL but lack 3 wheels. does anoyne know of any?
William 07710 649213
William
Is this the type?
The seller might have more - it's worth a try!

If you have a connection in France:

(There are always loads on leboncoin)

Or new:

Back