Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

handbooks???

mathiszig

Enthusiast
just bought a sweet, dark yellow 1984 R4 for £300. 6 months MOT, tax and barely any rust on body.....a few rattles and squeaks, but think i was lucky...
What are their downfalls???? rust?! and what else??
Also,any suggestions for handbooks, as i better get started to work out whats what.
many thanks
lucie

Hi,
Haynes manuals are always a winner .Do you have the handbook supplied with the car ? i can help you on both of these or any other spares .All priced for the enthusiast

Hi Lucie, it's good to hear you've found a nice one. Don't worry too much about rattles and squeaks - they all do that. Really it's rust you need to worry about, especially near where the rear suspension bolts on to the chassis. The mechanicals seem to go on for ever as long as the car is serviced every now and again - the cars are light and low powered so nothing really has very much strain on it.

You might be able to find a secondhand haynes manual on eBay. There don't seem to be any at the moment but you could keep an eye on http://www.renault4.co.uk/sale/manuals.htm The most common are for the earlier cars and those will be useless to you. Make sure you find one that covers up to 1986 or mentions the GTL or the model number R1123.

:clementi:

Lucie, if you go to the Haynes website you will see that they do a reprint of the manual for the later cars. A bit pricy, but well worth it.

Steve

can't seem to work this thing, so liam4R4, if you didn't get my message, I d like to by the Manual ( have got pink handbook). let me know how to sort out money etc.
had a look at the rear suspension thingies. scraped away all the mud and dirt and, oh no, the dreaded rust. not much ( forever optimistic)- on the slanted bits on both sides.
does this means welding???? or can i ignore it -for a while a least.

I've just spotted your photos in the gallery mathiszig. Congratulations on finding such a nice looking Renault 4. Yellow is of course the coolest colour.

But most of all the Plymouth Dakar rally in the 2CV sounds like it must have been a wonderful adventure. Has it been written up on the web anywhere? Post a link! If not send me loads of photos and writings and we can write it up here. I'd love to hear about the trip, who you met and what you saw along the way. I've only managed as far as Morocco. That was a real experience for me, walking up mountains with the wonderful (and super-fit) Berbers, enjoying their generosity, invariably involving mint tea.

:D

plymouth- dakar.

just remembered that in the last group of the plymouth-dakar 2005, 2 guys took a renault 4!!!! their website is www.twogringos.co.uk.
or plymouth-dakar .co.uk (archive 2005)
if you let me know how i ll will post/send some pictures of our epic adventure!!

I don't know about Copyright issues, so I don't know if I can post them or what. Clementine, could you give me a hand with this? I think it's best if you pm/email me, look at them and tell me how to proceed

I have:

User Manual (pdf, 50 pages, 37MB, Spanish)
Workshop Manual - bodywork (pdf, 176 pages, 2.6MB, English)
Workshop Manual - mechanics (pdf, 654 pages, 8.2MB, English)
Revue Technique 1970 (pdf, 120 pages, 12.8MB, French)

...and other Renault stuff, just pm me

Cheers,
Enrique

Thats great!

Is it posible to mail the Workshop Manual - bodywork (pdf, 176 pages, 2.6MB, English) and the Workshop Manual - mechanics (pdf, 654 pages, 8.2MB, English) to joachim (at) anoterhcompany.org

regards
Joachim

Back