Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Have I bought a Tl or GTL

Q plate

Enthusiast
Hi all after looking for a couple of years finally bought a car, it's listed as a GTL on the logbook & 1100cc has GTL badge on the boot but... it doesnt have the side mouldings on the doors or the front bumper irons like I often see? Could the doors have been smoothed over guessing there should be some holes for the trim to locate? Any thoughts 1985 car

IMG-20230524-WA0009.jpg IMG-20230524-WA0008.jpg

The plastic side mouldings can indeed be removed and the doors can be smoothed, as well as removing the front iron bumper extensions.
Also the plastic grill is removed so I think this car was in a proces to give it a pre 1978 look.
Under the bonnet there's more information with the oval and rectangual plate.

More about dating a R4 is here http://www.allez-y.info/dating.html

Many thanks for the info thought I'd bought a pup.. the car was starting to be prep'd for bodywork hence the grill being off and the previous owner has bought the side trims to be fitted I'll have to get the door cards off see if the holes existed

Regards AL

Hi

If you take a picture of the engine bay and post it on this website. The tl and gtl engines are quite distinct, we can then work out what you have.

It's probably a GTL and doors have been replaced (the rear windows are non opening, as on the basic version which was always 845cc). As far as I know, neither the basic version or the later TL Savane were available in RHD.
Does the oval plate read 1128 (GTL) or 1123 (TL)?

The plain doors are much less rust prone than those with GTL trim which are a bad water and salt trap- If it was down to me I would be leaving all those trim panels off.

Hear what you say (if) I do put them back on they'll be drenched in waxoyl and I'll make sure the drains are free. Got back to the car yesterday and I.D plate confirms it as a GTL so thanks all for the help & advice.

Back