Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Head Gasket replacement

jeanpaul72

Enthusiast
Good evening all
A little help and recommendations would be really of value to me, i suspect my head gasket has gone, watery oil, coolant loss but not leaking externally and running hot very quickly.
Does anyone know a garage, mechanic and/ or a machine shop who could assist/advise me?
I have options regarding location as car is in Wolverhampton atm and i live in Cheshire so can get it up to the north west if needed.
Have a good weekend!

Yes (and no!) Yes, I know a garage and an engineering company who would be capable of carrying out the work, but they're in Borehamwood, in Hertfordshire! I'd suggest popping into a local "old school" garage in your area and seeking the advice of the most "mature" mechsnic in the building! I can offer details of the company local to me, if you want them.

Thanks for getting back and the advice regarding local mature mechanics! will ask about. Borehamwood is a bit remote for me but always good to have options if i'm stuck.
Also a big up for your recent "how to" post on the head removal, gave me a confidence boost that its not the big deal some garages have made me think it is,
whether my confidence extends to doing on my own is another matter!
Cheers Paul

A Friend has suggested i try a pour in solution, either Bar's leaks head gasket repair or the more expensive Steel seal product, apparently his car has been fine since. Would this work on a Four with its wet liners though?
Is it worth a try or could trying it damage the engine?
Any advice would be gratefully received
Cheers Paul

Hi Jean Paul

I have always been dubious of 'miracle' products which claim to cure major engine issues such as a blown head gasket or a smoking engine. A friend of mine once used Bars Leaks to cure a leaking radiator on an R4 in a breakdown situation and it did in fact stop the leak. The radiator was then changed for a new one at the earliest opportunity. When the radiator was drained prior to fitting the new radiator, there were dark brown sludgy bits in the antifreeze which looked like congealed blobs of the Bars Leak solution. My concern is that the brown sludgy bits could block the narrow waterways within the cylinder head and lead to further problems such as more acute overheating which could damage pistons and liners. Changing a head gasket on an R4 is a pretty straightforward job for a qualified mechanic or a competent DIY mechanic. I would personally change the head gasket and then the job is done rather than pour additives into the engine. Other forum members might have a different opinion on the subject.

* I did once use Wynn's Stop Oil Leak to treat a leak from the sump's semi- circular rubber seal at the gearbox end. It did in fact work but started leaking again after about six months. I then had to change the sump gasket and rubber seals anyway.

Last edited:
I agree with @jcarruthers2, all those so called miracle products just make things worse. It's the same as with all advertising, pushing useless products that don't work just as long as they're sold in the name of greed.
Just stick with basic mechanics and maintenance and that's the only way how cars are kept running.

Thank you @jcarruthers2 and @JdeW for confirming what i thought, miracle cures sadly don't exist in this situation, or this life.
Back to the drawing board now.
Peace and Love xx

Back