Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Head lamp unit rear covers - which one? 4L GTL 1992 Spanish car.

AndyMcDonnell

Enthusiast
Hi everyone, tidying up in engine bay and I’m asking for some advice, photo or part number of item I need to fit to the headlamp units I have installed. Attached are 5 photos. Photo 1 are the covers that were installed, held on by string into self tapping screws on either side of the unit. They are too small in circumference and depth hitting the electrical connector. They provide no weather proofing and just fall off. Photos 2 and 3 are my actual lights - there is the lip of a rubber seal left on each - did this once have a rubber back that weather proofed the unit? Photo 4 is the Haynes manual and I cannot see how that attaches to my current head lights or where the cover spring 16 would fit into the bonnet. Photo 5 is the units offered by part supplier Franzose in Germany but again I cannot see how they attach? Can someone advise - a photo of what I should have fitted would help greatly. Thank you, Andy.

IMG_9473.jpeg IMG_9475.jpeg IMG_9476.jpeg IMG_0129.jpeg IMG_0127.jpeg

The R4gtl covers just press fit onto the headlights (there are no holding clips). The Haynes manual image represents the earlier type with the holding clip. The Der Franzose ones do look like the correct ones for a 4gtl but I cannot vouch for them being a good aftermarket fit as I have never bought them.

Last edited:
Correct covers that will fit on your headlamp bowls are like the ones pictured on the Haynes manual. They are held on by a bucket handle style wire clip and are much deeper to allow for the different shape of the headlamp bowl - note the difference between the Franzose picture and your actual bowl.

The plot thickens! It’s so frustrating being a newbie on this car. So, by chance on uTube I came across a Spanish video on a 92 4 GTL Clan. In the last 2 minutes of the video we get 10 seconds of the engine bay. It shows me many subtle differences which make some sense but confirm “my” Spanish car isn’t connected up wrong. So the headlight rear, is in 2 parts? A metal ring and a rubber over cap fitting directly to the back of the headlight unit - the evidence of the cottonseed edge seal is left on mine. So question does anyone know or can guide me to this rubber cover, I think I’ve found the metal ring.

IMG_9484.jpeg IMG_9480.jpeg

Back