Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Headlight adjuster

Simon Knight

Enthusiast
Hi All, I have just bought a NOS headlight and the plastic slider that changes it between LHD & RHD is missing. The slot it fits in is there, was this a separate item? Does anyone have one, or an old headlight I could dismantle please?
Chees Simon.

My sliders are on the housing that is riveted into the bonnet, and tilt the inner fitting

I have an H4 headlight that I can’t find a matching second one for. It still has the adjuster on it. I think.
And I might have some bad ones with adjuster. I have to dig into my spares.

I’ll let you know on Thursday.

Hi Harbourseal, if you have a bad light I can dismantle that would be great. Thank you.
Cheers Simon

Sorry, I have thrown the bad headlights in the bin I think couldn’t find them anymore

Hi Harbourseal, no worries thanks for looking.
Hi Andy, if you have one that would be great, again thanks for looking.
Cheers Simon

Hi Simon, I've an idea you don't necessarily need the slider, as once the bulb is retained by the two spring clips it can't move, so just experimenting with bulb position should work. Looking at the hole the bulb goes into as a clock face, the tag on the bulb goes 7 oclock for UK driving and 5 oclock for the continent or thereabouts. Regards Brian.

In my van, I found that load had no effect on beam height even with max load. Unusual for me, but quite reassuring! Although the rear went down, the front seemed to drop as well (my thumbnail photo to the left has the van with about 150Kg of tools in the rear; the front has lowered a bit too, although there is no-one in the front). It might be just down to where the load is positioned (tools end up evenly spread), or my weight in the front when I'm driving it!

Maybe I was just deluded!
Anyway - is this the same in the cars - are the load-adjusters actually needed?

Back