Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Headlights

I'm not a fan of LED or HID conversion on optics designed for traditional bulbs. Usually the beam pattern is really imprecise and there is a huge risk of being not really popular for those who are coming towards you.
I'm quite happy with the halogen, you can find also the so called "H5", an H4 with R2 socket, with the yellow covers.
And I think I'll buy soon R2 to H4 adapter rings and direclty yellow H4 bulbs.

I'd reccomend the installation of a relay kit to prevent the overload on the light switch, a new light switch and the possibility to find yourself in a dark road without lights are more expensive.

On my car I installed a kit with an electronic board that makes the same work of the relay, but it's even easier to install. I made few of them, the first prototype has been fitted on Azazello's car more than two years ago.

So an interesting day... I thought I had old bulbs in my motor but I don't on looking closely i have the ones like listed on retro car parts with the glass caps. So for now I have removed the yellow caps to see how it looks tonight, I think the main issue I have is that my daily motor has bi xenon and my wife's Led headlamps so I need to get used to less light than on a new car

As suggested by a couple if people, relays will probably help then. I fitted relays for a 2CV customer recently and it made a noticeable difference. Old-fashioned round lights are usually pretty efficient if their in good condition, with good bulbs and good electric feed.

As suggested by a couple if people, relays will probably help then. I fitted relays for a 2CV customer recently and it made a noticeable difference. Old-fashioned round lights are usually pretty efficient if their in good condition, with good bulbs and good electric feed.

Precisely! Take a few minutes to make sure all the terminals are clean and shiny and that all the earths are securely tight, which will help things a great deal. If you want to be really clever, route the live feed to the relay from the ignition + side, which will turn the headlights off when the ignition's turned off, even if the headlights are left switched on. This might need another relay circuit, switched by the ignition feed, but again, if you're fitting one relay, you might as well fit another!

In my humble opinion the fitting of HiD lights to a vehicle such as a Renault 4 would look out of place and, given their soft suspension, if the car were carrying a load in the back, could easily dazzle oncoming traffic.

So after removing the yellow caps and adjusting the beam on the front last night all looks better, so it's now got the 60/55 halogen bulb with the yellow caps stored for future use should I wish.. White for driving along dark lanes and roads where I live worked well last night with no issues. Managed about 40 miles last night and all was good :-) even managed to find the smallest parking spot in the pub to slot into.

Back