Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Heated Windscreens?

BarryR

Enthusiast
I am going to get my F6 van out soon and put it back on the road as my daily van and just wondered if anyone manufactures a heated windscreen for it? I did see an old thread on here from 2010 but times have moved on so fingers crossed.

Hi.
Many years ago I saw under the bonnet of a 4 a type of heater matrix for the screen wash which wrapped around one of the coolant hoses
It definitely looked like a factory fit, but I haven’t seen one since, and I think it was on a 70’s TL.
Can’t find it in the workshop manual.

get a lenght of soft copper brakeline. coil it firmly and snug around the upper coolant-hose (4 or 5 coils will do!) cut your existing plastic-hose leading from screenwash-reservoir to nozzles, push now cut ends into each end of the copper coil and you have heated screen-wash.. Don't overdo the number of copper-coils as it Could crack your windscreen - (if ice-cold) I made this up years ago on Roffen the F4 and it works a treat! -Reid.

Last edited:
I’m old enough to remember when you could buy diy heated screens - plastic sheets with embedded elements - which self-stuck to the screen. At a time when few cars, certainly in the UK, had them as standard. They were better than nothing - for as long as the adhesive lasted!

I remember a device somewhat like a heater element that one stuck to the bottom of the windscreen. The heat rose from it, to clear the screen of mist and frost. Not being dependant on the car's heater it worked instantly once the engine was on. I think it must have drawn a HUGE amount of current, though!

There is an option to have them made by this company .... https://www.heatedwindscreen.com/

The use a company near (Newcastle upon Tyne) to manufacture but I can't remember the name at the moment.

Plan to fit one to my Turbo2

Back