Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Heavy clutch

blakeyboy

Enthusiast
My F6 clutch is stupidly heavy.
Michael14 kindly let me try his clutch in his F4 today and it was so nice and light...
I can't see that it's my cable or actuator- I just feels so heavy,
just as if the clutch plate fitted has very strong springs...
The engine is from an 1108 R5, apparently.....

Are there differences between clutches that all fit this engine?
I have to sort it out- traffic driving is not enjoyable.

Well, I'll lube it again but last time I drove the van, lubing up the actuator shaft made no difference.
It really does feel like it's just push against a set of release plate spring fingers that are too stiff....
I have an oil leak from that area, so one day I'll drop the gearbox fix a seal,
and change the clutch as well....if it's easy....

Hi

If the above does not make a difference. It might be worth taking the clutch cable out completely and working the inner and outer of the cable by spraying wd40 using the straw down the inside of the outer. If rusty lubricant emerges from the other end, it would be a tell tale sign of the cable partially seizing. If so work the inner and outer with wd40 until the cable frees up completely.

If the above is not the cause. I'm afraid the gearbox would need to come out to investigate the clutch, the pressure plate could be the culprit. However, it would make sense to fit a complete new clutch kit. I would invest in a good quality clutch kit.

It takes a lot of applications of penetrating oil. The shaft bearing is about 100mm long and takes a while for the oil to get down it.

Back