Clementine's Garage
Clementine the Cat

Image of flower
Yellow R4

Réparateur d'automobiles

Hello

Mike from Spain

Enthusiast
Hi there, just found the site and thought I'd sign up. My Renault 4GTL is going back for a re-test today after replacing a bottom ball joint and 2 brake pipes; just need the tax then should be bombing about the island this afternoon!
I've had Renaults since 1979, starting out with a R6TL which was a fabulous machine! Equally as practical as the 4 but with sound proofing!! Then I went up in the world with an R16 TX, how posh were they! Since 1990 I've had 5 R25's including the V6 and V6 turbo. I'm just about to scrap my last one because the clutch has gone and it's not worth the hassel. Who'd have thought you'd have to scrap such a lovely car with electric leather seats and all! But, it's 13 years old and there aren't many in the scrap yards now.
So I've gone right back to basics with an R4 which I'm going to do a rolling restoration on.
Does anyone know a good source of spares, I need a boot lock/handle?

Hi Mike, thanks for joining the forum.

How did you get on with the MOT? I trust you are now rattling along.
There can't be all that many R4s on Anglesey these days what with all that salty sea air.

Liam is a good person to contact for spares. He posts on the forum as Liam4R4SPARES and normally has one or two cars in bits.

:clementi:

Hi Clementine, thanks for your message.
Got my certificate yesterday late afternoon after renwing a ball joint and two brake pipes. Just got back from the postoffice with my tax disc. Picked up an oil filter while I was out but it's pouring down so mit will have to wait! You're right about the sea air. I've got various classics wating for restoration and they're starting to rot away! Funny your profile stating V8's and slow French cars. The reason I was so desperate to get the R4 on the road was because I've got me a 3.9 V8 Rangerover! It has the 4 speed auto box but won't go into top. I also need to convert it to run on lpg. So as you can imagine it was costing me an arm and a leg in petrol; but now I can take my time tinkering with it while I trundle about in the R4!
Will be doing about 200 miles in it over the weekend all being well; it's first major outing since I trailored it back from mid Wales last October. I got it off ebay for £10! It was advertised as having a broken cam belt. I new instantly that that wasn't the problem as it's the same engine as the R6 and has a chain which I knew after replacing one in my R6 20 odd years ago! (engine out job!) Anyway, the problem turned out to be the low tension wire from the points getting eaten up by the bob weights in the dizzy. After a bit of re-routing it runs like a dream; best tenner I've spent in a long time.
I'll give Liam a call! Speak soon,
Mike

Hi Chris, thanks for your email. I put it on ebay yesterday, you can have a look if you want too, item#4539615730.
Maybe you could mention it on your site, it would make a useful spares car although there's still plenty of life in it if the jobs were done!
Regards,
Mike

Back